We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samburu, Amboseli, or....

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Samburu, Amboseli, or....

I am spending 4-5 days/nights in CPT then on to NBO. I have 2-3 days/nights to spend at amboseli or samburu. I had thought to try to do both but with max 3 days felt it was too much switching and flying. (right?) After this I will join a 7 day group tour to ngorongoro, serengeti, maasai mara. It looks like Samburu is sold out except for Intrepids and Amboseli also except for Serena. I have not checked with a tour operator yet to see if they have more connections with places to stay. Questions:

1- Amboseli or Samburu or both (also interested in culture besides animals)

2- 2or 3 nights?

Thank you for your advice.

Boston...
reviews: 76
1. Re: Samburu, Amboseli, or....

Did you check out the Elephant Bedroom Camp in Samburu? It's a beautiful property... And you can visit the village there too where the tribe will show you how they live and they sing and dance.. Its fun... Just fyi, they request a $25 per person donation which you give directly to a member of the tribe.

Los Angeles...
2. Re: Samburu, Amboseli, or....

Yes, I did see that and it looks very interesting... I also found a place called Lemarti's Camp but it is in Laikipia and I am not sure how different Samburu is to Laikipia. Any comments on Lemarti's Camp vs Intrepids vs Elephant Bedroom Camp?

nyc
3. Re: Samburu, Amboseli, or....

LeMarti's will be very very expensive and as you've found out it's located in Laikipia.

Laikipia and Samburu are different as to landscapes and game to be found. Samburu though is known for species not found elsewhere and where it's easier game spotting.

I believe you'd do better flying up to Samburu, spend the 3/nts, with a stay at either Intrepid's (about 25/tents) or Elephant Bedroom (12/tents), with the latter a bit lower in price. Elephant Bedroom does get outstanding reviews.

Good luck!

Boston...
reviews: 76
4. Re: Samburu, Amboseli, or....

We stayed at elephant bedroom.. It's really beautiful.... Didn't want for a thing and security is everywhere... The small pool outside the tent is a nice touch after a hot and dusty game drive. :)

Edited: 12:13 pm, August 09, 2012
Michigan
reviews: 51
5. Re: Samburu, Amboseli, or....

I don't believe you said when you are traveling. If you end up in Samburu in January/February, just know that it is their summer and extremely hot. Stayed at Intrepids just a couple of weeks before the flood hit in 2010 and the they left the generators on all night because the tent temperatures at bedtime were 80+. The tents were really nice though and they rebuilt everything after the flood. The pool was small and didn't look really clear to me. Samburu was ok for a couple of different species - oryx, gerenuk, Grevy's zebra, vulturine guineafowl, but I'd still take Amboseli any day over it. I've been to Amboseli 3 times and so enjoy watching the behavior of the elephants and, if you are lucky, the beautiful view of Kilimanjaro. Stayed at Amboseli Serena in May. It was nice although I really liked Ol Tukai when last there and I think the room was less expensive. Can only speak about the wildlife in these locations. I did the cultural village tour once and found it too touristy and a lot of pressure to buy souvenirs that you're already pressured to purchase at the curio stands.

Augsburg, Germany
reviews: 5
6. Re: Samburu, Amboseli, or....

Hi,

another vote for the Elephant Bedroom Camp. Stayed there in february 2011 for 3 nights and loved this place.

Have been to Larsens and Sarova Shaba before, but the Elephant Bedroom is the place to be - you won`t regret.

Bye

Chrissy

7. Re: Samburu, Amboseli, or....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, August 21, 2013