We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Nairobi to Arusha

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Clayton, Georgia
Best way to get from Nairobi to Arusha

We are 3 adults who will arrive in Nairobi for several days then join a safari group in Arusha which will end in Nairobi. Is it safe to use a motorcoach transfer or is it better to fly? Thanks.

Nairobi
1. Re: Best way to get from Nairobi to Arusha

Hi Clayton

If cost is the issue and you want to see the countryside, you can take the shuttle from Nairobi to Arusha. They have two departures daily at 0800hrs and 1400hrs both ways, the cost is $30 per person one way and the road is good all the way to Arusha, they are quite safe. The shuttle companies are Riverside, Jamii e.t.c you can ask your tour operator to arrange for you or contact them directly

All the best

Allan

Boston...
2. Re: Best way to get from Nairobi to Arusha

I am having trouble finding a shuttle that leaves later than 2pm. I won't be able to get a shuttle until probably 4pm. Anyone know of any evening shuttles or private taxis to Moshi? Flights have climbed to $400 for the date I want to leave so I don't mind spending money on a private taxi. For two people I don't think it would be more than $300?

Nairobi
3. Re: Best way to get from Nairobi to Arusha

If you need to go to Arusha after 4pm, try Kampala coach buses who also ply that route, they are 60 seater buses and also operate night service, though not sure of their schedule and they will even be cheaper than the shuttles.

Allan

Clayton, Georgia
4. Re: Best way to get from Nairobi to Arusha

Thanks Allan. The 1400 would work out well for us. Our travel agent is concerned that these motorcoaches break down frequently and that we might not be safe while waiting on repairs should that happen. Do you know how long the trip takes? Regards, Margie PS I don't know how the post got in regarding a private taxi to Moshi. That is not me.

Michigan
reviews: 39
5. Re: Best way to get from Nairobi to Arusha

Tatecity

You may want to ask regarding these shuttles about where your luggage is put. I have seen a lot of luggage put on the roof of some of these shuttles. That would make me extremely nervous. I think one the reasons the last shuttle typically is around 1400 is because it gets dark around 6pm/6:30pm. Although the road now between the two locations is paved, still I'd rather travel while it is light for safety.

People join in on the discussions frequently even if the subject is slightly different. It is all transportation related.

nyc
6. Re: Best way to get from Nairobi to Arusha

tatecity - Agree with post above that even if a 4pm shuttle, and it takes 5/hrs, do you really want to be on the road after dark (6:30pm) for another minimum 2.5-3/hrs? I wouldn't. Even the 2pm bus, if on time arrives Arusha just as dark settles.

Why can't you take the 2pm shuttle? What time do you arrive in Nairobi? and from where?

Clayton, Georgia
7. Re: Best way to get from Nairobi to Arusha

Thanks 4sandi. We can take the 2pm bus. My messages got mixed up with someone else who needed to go to Moshi after 4pm. We will arrive in Nairobi 2 days before we need to go to Arusha. Perhaps we should seriously consider the 8am departure. Don't know anything about air shuttle but that might be the best bet.

nyc
8. Re: Best way to get from Nairobi to Arusha

tatecity - yup, can get confusing when someone attaches themselves to a thread with different questions/replies and messes us responses from all concerned.

Sure, if you can do the 8am departure, go for it. Arrival at Arusha would be about 1pm. Shuttle bus at less than $40/pax is sure more economical than flight (close to $300/pax now with aded fuel charges), but then flight is less than 1/hr arriving at JRO from where you'd require transfer into Arusha town.

The bus will be an adventure. Get to departure point early enough to get regular seats rather than those that drop down in middle (aisle) which are not at all comfortable for this journey and avoid the rear seats... to bumpy! Enjoy!

Clayton, Georgia
9. Re: Best way to get from Nairobi to Arusha

Hello. We will arrive in Nairobi the end of Jan. and have reserved Riverside Shuttle to take us to Arusha. I have not been able to find any information on a way to get from the Riverside drop off point in Arusha which is Mezza Luna hotel and Mountain Village Lodge where we are staying. I cannot find an email address for Riverside. I have written to the hotels in Arusha and they won't respond. If you have any information that might help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Clayton, Georgia
10. Re: Best way to get from Nairobi to Arusha

Hello. We will arrive in Nairobi the end of Jan. and have reserved Riverside Shuttle to take us to Arusha. I have not been able to find any information on a way to get from the Riverside drop off point in Arusha which is Mezza Luna hotel and Mountain Village Lodge where we are staying. I cannot find an email address for Riverside. I have written to the hotels in Arusha and they won't respond. If you have any information that might help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.