We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a one day stop in Nairobi and needed advice...

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Planning a one day stop in Nairobi and needed advice...

Hi!

Will be in Nairobi for one day in September before going on Safari and staying at Sankara (unless you all think Fairview is better). Would it be reasonable to see the Elephant Orphanage, Giraffe Centre and Karen Blixen in a day? Also looking for lunch and dinner recommendations. Been told that Haandi and Talisman would be the places to go to as Carnivore's not what it used to be...and how long does it take to get from the Westlands to Wilson?

Thanks in advance!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 145
1. Re: Planning a one day stop in Nairobi and needed advice...

Hello

Both sankara and Fairview are great hotels. Haandi is walking distance from Sanakra, so you would save heaps of time in traffic from Fairview. There are also some bars that you can walk to from Sankara, as well as Sarit Centre - a shopping mall.

A full day - it is possible to go to all three places and even more. Elephants can only be done between 11am - 12pm, unless you have sponsored one, and book to go at 5pm to put them to bed.

Hope that helps

RWA

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
2. Re: Planning a one day stop in Nairobi and needed advice...

Food @ Sankara is "exquisite", to say the least.

Besides Haandi, another very good indian restaurant is Open House, quite literally, down the road from Sankara.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 4
3. Re: Planning a one day stop in Nairobi and needed advice...

Westlands to Wilson can be 30 minutes, but it can often take well over an hour.

It's less than 8km by the most direct and busiest route. Be sure the driver uses Mbagathi Way - a km or two further but usually much quicker.

Richard

Vancouver, Canada
4. Re: Planning a one day stop in Nairobi and needed advice...

--Thanks, all--was worried that staying at Sankara by Westlands may not be worthwhile given the safari operator we are going with commented that my party was better off staying at Fairview as Sankara was clear across town and he wanted us to use him for pick up (should I mention the USD$150 each way he wanted to charge to do the ride from airport to Sankara and back to Wilson!).

Stefani--is Carnivore worth the try? Just wondering as one of my friends loves grilled meats...

New York City, New...
reviews: 1
5. Re: Planning a one day stop in Nairobi and needed advice...

i have a couple overnite stays at the sankara on my upcoming honeymoon. I can report back after that. We leave next sunday

6. Re: Planning a one day stop in Nairobi and needed advice...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 am, August 03, 2012
Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 13
7. Re: Planning a one day stop in Nairobi and needed advice...

As Greg leaves in a few days time I would hope so! Touting isn't allowed. Please read forum rules.

Nairobi, Kenya
8. Re: Planning a one day stop in Nairobi and needed advice...

What are these forums for if people cant get solutions.??????

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
9. Re: Planning a one day stop in Nairobi and needed advice...

There are mixed reviews on Carnivore. They also have a Ala Carte menu to order bbq meat platters.

If you fancy asian style bbq, there's Hashmi BBQ restaurant @ Nakumatt Ukay. Also down the road from Sankara.

http://hashmisbbq.com/?author=1

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 13
10. Re: Planning a one day stop in Nairobi and needed advice...

Advice and tips are fine. Advertising your business and touting are not.