We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for additions to a booked 10 day safari, please

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Suggestions for additions to a booked 10 day safari, please

Hi am looking for some suggestions on embellishing a 10 day safari. The safari schedule is:

Day 1 – Oct. 31 Day 10 – Nov. 9

Nairobi – Dame Daphne Sheldrick’s Elephant Orphange, Lunch at Gemini’s, Welcome cocktails and Dinner at the Pintos Estate

Visit Karen Blixen’s Estate and Giraffe Center, Special Dinner at Carnivore Restaurant.

Charter flight to Ngorongoro Conservation Area, Tanzania. Transfer to Nogorongoro Serena Lodge

Journey by 4 wheel drive into the Caldera searching for the “Big 5” game drive ,

Drive to Serengeti Park, with stop at Olduvai Gorge, picnic lunch, game drive Transfer to Serengeti Serena Lodge

Serengeti National Park Game Drives

Flight to Maasai Mara and transfer to Governor’s Camp

Morning and afternoon game drives. Optional Hot Air Balloon and Lake Victoria excursions. Visit a Maasai village and end the evening with a Farewell Bush Dinner

Morning game drive, transfer to airstrip for flight to Nairobi. AmericaShare visit to Mukuru slums, day room at hotel,

I would like to add on an additional 8-10 days to the trip. I had originally thought about going to cape town first and then go to Nairobi but now am thinking maybe Zanzibar or Mombasa would be a better use of time and space. I am interested mostly in animals, marine life, and cultures. It is hard to give up Cape town but know that their is much to see in Kenya/Tanzania. Any itinerary suggestions would be so appreciated.

Los Angeles...
1. Re: Suggestions for additions to a booked 10 day safari, please

Also does anyone have an opinion on whether the hot air balloon ride or the lake victoria flight are worth the extra 475 and a missed game drive?

nyc
2. Re: Suggestions for additions to a booked 10 day safari, please

Mixed reviews on the hot-air balloon... some love it, others not so. If Lake Victoria, what is planned while there? This is what Governor's Camp provides as an option as they have a property there.

As to missing a game drive... believe me, you're often glad to be out of a vehicle and will have seen much game, so only you can decide.

I recall you mentioned that someone else booked this overpriced Micato safari (visiting only Ngo, Serengeti and the Mara), so is $475 too much? Though you can certainly use those funds to fly to/from the Kenyan Coast, south at Diani where they have some lovely properties. Though can't imagine after concluding safari in Kenya, you'd want to fly back to Zanzibar in Tanzania?

Besides the itinerary above doesn't even include one of the three elephant parks between these countries - Amboseli or Samburu in Kenya or Tarangire in Tanzania. Maybe consider after safari, you fly up to Samburu where there are species not found elsewhere, spend 2-3/nts and then to the coast, where many properties offer 'extended stay' discounts, as stay 6/nts, pay 5/nts. But for sure, I wouldn't have Micato book this for you as they'll overcharge. There are other in-country outfitters (even some in the States) who can at more competitive prices.

3. Re: Suggestions for additions to a booked 10 day safari, please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, August 21, 2013