We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire or Cab Hire Nairobi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Car Hire or Cab Hire Nairobi

I am putting together a budget for a project that we are intending to do in Narok next year. I was going to include car hire and petrol for nine days. But the lady at the Centre where we will be working suggested hiring a private cab to get to Narok and back, and just using Matatus in Narok. She's quoted us for the matatu price but what do you think the cab hire is likely to be Nairobi - Narok and then back Narok-Nairobi a week later?

thanks!

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
30 posts
1. Re: Car Hire or Cab Hire Nairobi

yes it is possible for you to hire a vehicle for a week then back.

just have the right contacts.

Nairobi
Level Contributor
245 posts
2. Re: Car Hire or Cab Hire Nairobi

If budget is the issue and you do not mind using matatus, you may as well go by matatu to Narok and back to Nairobi. They are quite regular on this route and very comfortable 10 - 14 seaters. Otherwise you can go by taxi one way to Narok from Nairobi, stay for nine days and grab another taxi from Narok to Nairobi, agree on the prices first or else it would end up causing an embarassment arguing over it in public.

All the best

Allan

London
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Car Hire or Cab Hire Nairobi

Hi Allen

I've used matatus a lot but my project partner is bringing her toddler with her and I am concerned about the safety aspect for her child and thought it might be better to negotiate a taxi. I haven't been in Kenya for 9 years but last time round the matatus were terrifying. What do you think?

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Car Hire or Cab Hire Nairobi

Absolutely, unequivocally would NOT recommend using matatus, especially with a toddler. No safety margins whatsoever. Suggest you go with the taxi option instead. A couple of good, reliable safe companies spring to mind, both of whom I use regularly for secure transfer services if i can't do the transfers myself: Air Travel East Africa or The Safari Company.

http://www.airtraveleastafrica.com/

www.thesafaricoltd.com

"just have the right contacts."

Helpful, really helpful *rolls eyes*

Edited: 6:45 am, July 18, 2012
Nairobi
Level Contributor
245 posts
5. Re: Car Hire or Cab Hire Nairobi

Agreed FL410

Yes with a toddler it is tricky, contact Air Travel as suggested above, it will be worthwhile, the cost of using a taxi in comparison with hiring a van from a reputable company will be almost the same. The tour company will provide a professional guide and proper back up.

Good luck

Allan

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Car Hire or Cab Hire Nairobi

I never think of "Matatu" and "safe" in the same sentence. Most of them are rust-buckets driven by lunatics, totally overcrowded and often with someone hanging out of the door. Although the police are trying to crack down on the worst of them, a few shillings here and there greases the palm.

Far better to use one of the more reliable companies - the one I used in May this year was Wonders of Africa - they arranged both a safari and local transport around Nairobi, including airport transfers at unsociable hours.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,000 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: Car Hire or Cab Hire Nairobi

FYI - Rasul Car Hire rates are very reasonable.

http://www.rasuls.com/

London
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Car Hire or Cab Hire Nairobi

thanks so much - that's really helpful.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,592 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Car Hire or Cab Hire Nairobi

I've sent you a PM.

Kisumu, Kenya
Level Contributor
34 posts
27 reviews
10. Re: Car Hire or Cab Hire Nairobi

I stopped taking Matatu's after feeling like too many of the drivers where high or drunk.....while driving. I saw one driver last week smoking what looked like Bhang (marijuanna) while driving down the highway near Nakuru.

Looks like a few good companies have been recommended above.

Feel free to PM me if you want the name and number of a good driver in Nairobi.