We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private Visit at the Orphanage

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cologne, Germany
reviews: 3
Private Visit at the Orphanage

I have arranged for a private visit at the elephant orphanage and now my daughter wants to know if she will be allowed to touch her foster elephant or not...

Nairobi, Kenya
1. Re: Private Visit at the Orphanage

Of course she can. If it's the evening private visiting time you can walk with your elephant back to its stockade (a bit like walking a puppy!) and then pet him or her over the door. If you have arranged an alternate private visiting time then I'm not sure what the arrangement will be but I can't see that she wouldn't be able to pet her elephant unless due to unforeseen circumstances like sickness.

Edited: 1:29 am, July 17, 2012
Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 213
2. Re: Private Visit at the Orphanage

Like FL says. You most likely will be able to touch him or her. It will depend on the Keeper and how boisterous the Orphan is. Even as babies they can weigh a lot and hurt a small child unintentionally.

Take care and do enjoy your visit to this wonderful place.

Cologne, Germany
3. Re: Private Visit at the Orphanage

thanks guys, that's the answer I / she was hoping for (yes, the private visit is arranged for 5 pm)

Michigan
reviews: 54
4. Re: Private Visit at the Orphanage

Even during the public time, if your ellie happens to be close to the rope (as close as you can get) you can pet them. Kithaka, my adoptee, was being bottle fed right by the rope and next to a blanket. One of the keepers confirmed that it was him and I was allowed to pet him actually closer than over the door at the private time. Reaching over the door to their 'room' can be a little challenging depending on how tall the person is. The keepers are also very good at taking photos or video with your camera, from within the ellies quarters so you get better photos, than what you may be able to take yourself. The keeper was very nice and shot video of my ellie and of me. I guess they are so used to all the different types of cameras, they know how to handle them and take good photos.

Have a great visit. It was the highlight of my last trip.

seattle
reviews: 1
5. Re: Private Visit at the Orphanage

Perfect timing for me for this post. We want to visit our adoptees in a couple of weeks and have seen in guidebooks that it's best to make a reservation. But I cannot figure out from our enewsletters or the website how one goes about making a reservation even for the public 11 to noon visit. I sent an email to the "rc-h@africaonline.co.ke", but got no response. Any advice?

Nairobi, Kenya
6. Re: Private Visit at the Orphanage

Try resending your email and address it clearly FOR THE ATTENTION OF LINA / TAL. Both these ladies are super-efficient and will be able to make your evening appointment. If you still don't hear from them, it might be worth giving a call on the numbers provided, in case your email is going into their "junk" email. Bear in mind that their website was down for a short while a couple of days ago, so this might have some bearing on why your email hasn't been responded to thus far.

If you still don't have any luck, PM me and I will act as intermediary and make the appointment for you :-)

Edited: 2:26 am, July 18, 2012
Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 213
7. Re: Private Visit at the Orphanage

Lina Selinas is the best contact but should we be putting emails on an open forum?

Reservations for the 11am are not strictly required but it is polite to check before going just in case they have a bulk school trip or something..

Evening lock up is by appointment as you know.

good luck and enjoy meeting your "little ones!"

Nairobi, Kenya
8. Re: Private Visit at the Orphanage

I don't know a Lina Selinas, sorry. Not posting her real full name here, but it's not Selinas. And the email address posted by bbincSeattle is the one on Sheldrick's website, so hardly a private/personal email address. It's the one on Sheldrick's public contact page.

Michigan
reviews: 54
9. Re: Private Visit at the Orphanage

They definitely do check their lists for the evening visitation. I was told for my visit that everything was taken care of. But when I got there, the gentleman that met us at our vehicles didn't have my name. Not sure why. But he went in and checked and came back in a short while and said all was ok. Good thing or I would have been hugely disappointed. I was surprised though when there, that there was not a huge amount of items for sale. They had a small table set up and that was it (other than an adoption table if you wanted to adopt more).

nyc
10. Re: Private Visit at the Orphanage

Other than the OP who made his own arrangement for this evening visits, for those who have arranged their safari thru an outfitter... they can handle this for you. Just provide them the name of your chubby, the date you wish to visit and, of course, your name.

Edited: 2:04 pm, July 18, 2012