We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it possible?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
nottinghamshire
reviews: 21
Is it possible?

We have one full day in Nairobi before our flight home the next day and wondered is it possible to visit elephant orphanage am, giraffe centre, kuzuri beans and elephant orphanage pm all in one day? We do have a guide who said it would be very tight because of the traffic and suggested we dropped one. I just wondered what people on here thought. If not possible which do we drop? Will be there 1st August if that makes any difference.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 145
1. Re: Is it possible?

What time do you get to Nairobi? Then we could advise.

nottinghamshire
2. Re: Is it possible?

We arrive the evening before so have a full day from when we get up until we go to bed.

nottinghamshire
3. Re: Is it possible?

Forgot to say we are staying at the Fairview if that helps

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 145
4. Re: Is it possible?

If u have a full day it is possible.

0830 depart Fairview

0930 1015 giraffe

1015 1045 drive to elephants

1100 1200 elephants

1200 1330 lunch at Karen blixen coffee gardens - tamambo

1330 1615 kazuri beads, Karen blixen museum, etc

1615 1645 drive to elephants

1700 1800 elephants

1800 1900 drive to Fairview

It can be done. Maybe a lazy guide:)

And then a nice dinner at Fairview

Edited: 5:00 pm, July 10, 2012
nyc
5. Re: Is it possible?

Reminder, if wishing to visit the ellees at 5pm, you have to 'adopt' one of the chubbies, and schedule your visit. Fee is $50/annual.

See the Sheldrick website for details, at:

www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/

So as RWA shows, it's all doable in 1/day.

Who is your tour guide for this?

With the exception of getting from Fairview to the suburb of Karen, where all but the Ellees are located, the others are all in Karen. Then back to the Fairview, so traffic shouldn't be all that much of a factor. And, if the day you are planning this is a Sunday, very little traffic in the morning, though more later in the day.

There's also a nice cafe at Utamaduni Crafts (near Kazuri Beads) at more reasonable prices than Karen Blixen Coffee/Tamambo,(but then lots of cuisine choices in NBO, so whatever you might wish). And, do stop in at Utamaduni to shop.

Edited: 5:33 pm, July 10, 2012
Michigan
reviews: 39
6. Re: Is it possible?

Keep in mind if you are planning on going to Kazuri and you are doing this on a Sunday, that only the gift shop is open. They do not do factory tours (which was extremely interesting to me) on Sundays.

If this day is following a safari, IMHO, skipping the giraffe center would be an option. You will have seen giraffes already and they will be truly in the wild. A lot of people seem to like the giraffe center because you can touch the giraffe or 'get a kiss' from one. But to me, it was more like going to a zoo and it can be quite crowded.

Seeing the elephants at the orphanage twice is great (provided as Sandi said you have adopted one) because what they do at the two times is different. I really enjoyed Kazuri and the Karen Blixen estate.

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 188
7. Re: Is it possible?

I agree. If you skip one it would be the Giraffes.

But do get the 'invite' to parents evening with the Orphans first. You cannot just roll up.

Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
8. Re: Is it possible?

"kuzuri beans"

Loving it! :-D

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 188
9. Re: Is it possible?

Served on toast. Yummee. Do not feed to the Elephants!

nottinghamshire
10. Re: Is it possible?

Woops FL410 slip of the finger again, obviously hungry at the time! ! Thanks for all your help everyone and yes I have arranged to visit the eles at 5pm as I do foster an ele.