We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lost luggage

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
reviews: 4
Lost luggage

My teen son landed in Nairobi June 30 and his luggage was lost. He raported missing backpack and has a claim #, but today is July6 and airlines or airport authorities still dont know where his bag is. I called Kenya Airways from Canada and ask if they provide people with emergency money to buy essentials but cant help him until Monday. They are willing to give him $100. He is 2 hr away from Nairobi in Nakuru as a volunteer. Did anyone have similar experiance? Any advise, comments?

P.S. Can he buy contact lences in Nakuru if I sent him info with his prescription.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 150
1. Re: Lost luggage

So sorry to hear about this. Does he have an travel insurance?

In Nakuru there are several opticians? Try …mocality.co.ke/b/Optica---Nakuru/19de1aaf-0…

KQ is a messy airline to deal with unfortunately.

Good luck.

toronto
2. Re: Lost luggage

Thank you for reply. I will pass this information to my son. I have family travel insurance which applies, when I pay portion of a plane ticket with credit card. This time I got the full ticket with points so he is just coverd in case of medical emergency. His Backpack was full of clothes for poor children, so I hope he will get it back when he is still in Kenya to give it to the needy.

Manchester, england
reviews: 8
3. Re: Lost luggage

He will need to get receipts for everything and then document this for his insurance company they are very strict.

We had a nightmare one xmas in Nairobi, which to be fair was not KQs fault, but tryingnto get through to them and get any sense was a nightmare. I wouldnt be surpised if his luggage had arrived, this happened to us when 2 cases were there and we were told they were not. To be fair our others were lost in France but still.... I would contact the station manager at Nairobi he is lovely and ask him personally to assisit. Also check that the cases have not actually arrived because again this happened to smeone we knew last year and they were sat at Malindi airport for 3 days.

He should get whats called first assistance from KQ but Kenya is not cheap so this will not go far. Good luck!

toronto
4. Re: Lost luggage

Update. October 4 my son received money from Kenya Airways for his lost luggage, which was never found. It took hundred of emails and phone calls. My son did not have travel insurance. We had to present receipts for lost items. My otherwise stupid habit of keeping every bill came handy this time.

My son did not have much to wear in Kenya but he loved the whole experiance.

Gaborone, Botswana
5. Re: Lost luggage

Keletso nkarabang my son lost all his luggage which he acqired for three years while studying in malaysia, this happenned in july 2012 on his way back to botswana. his luggage was reported having been found in the far east office but never reacged his destination sir seretse kgama airport in gaborone. what could have happenned to his bag. hewas recompesated 1 4oo usd which is far low than the value of his goods. we are prepared to replace the amount for the exchange of his suitcase and his books,

where does the lost and found luggage that is in unclaimed in kenya airways go too. please hep . iam awidow and this has disturged my son pschologicaly. my contact numbe 00267362267 working hrs.

toronto
6. Re: Lost luggage

Sorry. I would not know answer to your question. Good luck.

7. Re: Lost luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:25 am, September 21, 2014