We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

review of "The Chocolate City Tour"

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
reviews: 14
review of "The Chocolate City Tour"

I know there is pros and cons of the slum tours of Kibera and I am not going to get into that. I did this tour with the intent of introducing my 22 yr old niece to "another world" which I have experienced by being a volunteer for many years in India. This company is owned by Octopizzo, born and raised in Kibera. We only had a layover in Nairobi for the day. He met us at the airport and brought us back to the airport. The experience was amazing. He did an excellent job of going over the issues that are plaguing the residents and also the positive aspects. My niece experienced the smiles of the children and many of the residents. We were greeted warmly by all that we met. We had just finished a safari in Tanzania where we saw too many children with their hands outreached for money. There was none of this in Kibera.

We also saw some the the good works being done there, especially the organization that is helping women with hiv/aids be self sufficient. Ate lunch at a cafe in the middle of the slum. Good food!!

I highly recommend this tour. Very educational and eye opening on many levels. The best thing is the smiles and happiness that can be found there. It is a tough life but they are there with dignity.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 150
1. Re: review of "The Chocolate City Tour"

Thanks for this. How much did it cost?

Seattle
2. Re: review of "The Chocolate City Tour"

The tour was only $15 per person. Forgot to mention that this was an all day adventure. Well worth the price.

The transportation to and from the airport was $25 each way. Originally, I thought the transportation cost was pricey but after being in Nairobi traffic (!!) I thought it was fair.

New York City, New...
reviews: 2
3. Re: review of "The Chocolate City Tour"

Thanks for sharing your experience. How did you get in touch with the tour company?? I've googled it but can't seem to find contact details. Would be grateful for feedback.

Seattle
4. Re: review of "The Chocolate City Tour"

This is the website: http://www.octopizzo.com

I just emailed Octopizzo (octopizzodahiphop@gmail.com) he was great about emailing me back promptly. I had a few friends questioning what I was getting myself into, but rest easy, he is legit. I heard about this tour from an old post on TripAdvisor and I messaged the person that wrote it and she gave me more info so I felt comfortable doing the tour. I also think this can be arranged through hotels in Nairobi, which was not an option for us because we were only there on a full day layover.

kampala
reviews: 7
5. Re: review of "The Chocolate City Tour"

Thanks so much in doing that. if more visitors can join in it will help the slum people.

Brooklyn, ny
reviews: 6
6. Re: review of "The Chocolate City Tour"

Three friends and I did this tour with Ocotpizzo as well. It was an incredible, eye-opening ecperience. He came to our hotel, took us to Kibera and back using public transportation. We learned so much from this remarkable young man who is doing so much for his community. Just email him for the details. He is wonderful about responding and following up with email.

Oakland, CA
reviews: 158
7. Re: review of "The Chocolate City Tour"

great info, thanks to all!!!

Brooklyn, ny
reviews: 6
8. Re: review of "The Chocolate City Tour"

I just added some photos we took during the walking tour of Kibera. I guess Trip Advisor has to approve them before they show up on the site.

Redditch, United...
reviews: 3
9. Re: review of "The Chocolate City Tour"

How far is this from the - VOYAGER HOTEL PLS ? looks great news !

Newcastle upon...
reviews: 27
10. Re: review of "The Chocolate City Tour"

jersey200

Kibera is in Nairobi andI take it you mean Voyager hotel in Mombasa?

If so it is aorund 300miles by road, or an hours flight.