We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 hour layover 6am - 6 pm at JKA airport - what to do?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 49
12 hour layover 6am - 6 pm at JKA airport - what to do?

Hi all!

I have a 12 hour layover from 6 am to 6 pm at JKA airport. Does anyone have recommendations on what to do?

I've had a look through the helpful posts in the forums.

- I'm not too interested in the safari tours/giraffe centre/elephants as I'm heading to Tanzania for 5 weeks and will no doubt go on a safari tour. Although if there's something really unique about it - happy to check it out!

- Ever since coming across the Kibera News Network I've been interested in visiting Kibera. I'm aware of the 'slum safari' controversies over tourism in a slum so I don't mean to start a discussion here. But would love to hear about people's experience here. So far I've seen two tours - Kibera Tours and Explore Kibera. Any advice would be welcomed.

- Other than that, pretty open to try anything!

I'm a young woman from Aus travelling alone. I've never been to Africa but I've travelled through Asia and Europe. My luggage will be taken care of by the airlines but I will have a backpack on. So another thing I'd love help with is the best way to get to the city and around for the day. By taxi or tour/guide? Any reliable recommendations would be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Edited: 12:39 am, June 11, 2012
Houston, Texas...
11. Re: 12 hour layover 6am - 6 pm at JKA airport - what to do?

i too am having a 12 hour layover next month and i am interested in how your experience was. would love to hear from you before i leave. hope everything was fantastic!

Mombasa, Kenya
12. Re: 12 hour layover 6am - 6 pm at JKA airport - what to do?

Your stopover of 12 hours is really more like 6 as you have to take into consideration that everything opens not earlier than 8.30-9.00 am and that you will have to be at the airport approximately 3 hours before flight departure for security check and check in. So plan carefull and watch your time! Traffic from town to JKIA can be quite bad so I would suggest that you stay at least on Karen/Langata side.

You can visit Giraffe Centre, Crocodile Farm Mamba Village - they are in Langata and fairly close to each other. David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust is unique and they are also down the same side of town. Even though you are going to TZ and will see animals, Nairobi Animal Orphanage is a nice place to visit and is at the entrance to the Nairobi National Part - also in Langata, and it is a very nice and educational walk.

However, there is something totally different you can do! Try Karen Blixen Museum in Karen (suburb is named after her!) - who has not heard or seen "Out of Africa"! www.museums.or.ke/content/blogcategory/13/19/ and afterwards you can have a nice relaxing lunch or coffee at Karen Blixen Coffee Gardens nearby http://www.karenblixencoffeegarden.com/

I hope this will give you some new ideas!

Larissa

13. Re: 12 hour layover 6am - 6 pm at JKA airport - what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 11, 2014