We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 hour layover 6am - 6 pm at JKA airport - what to do?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 49
12 hour layover 6am - 6 pm at JKA airport - what to do?

Hi all!

I have a 12 hour layover from 6 am to 6 pm at JKA airport. Does anyone have recommendations on what to do?

I've had a look through the helpful posts in the forums.

- I'm not too interested in the safari tours/giraffe centre/elephants as I'm heading to Tanzania for 5 weeks and will no doubt go on a safari tour. Although if there's something really unique about it - happy to check it out!

- Ever since coming across the Kibera News Network I've been interested in visiting Kibera. I'm aware of the 'slum safari' controversies over tourism in a slum so I don't mean to start a discussion here. But would love to hear about people's experience here. So far I've seen two tours - Kibera Tours and Explore Kibera. Any advice would be welcomed.

- Other than that, pretty open to try anything!

I'm a young woman from Aus travelling alone. I've never been to Africa but I've travelled through Asia and Europe. My luggage will be taken care of by the airlines but I will have a backpack on. So another thing I'd love help with is the best way to get to the city and around for the day. By taxi or tour/guide? Any reliable recommendations would be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Edited: 12:39 am, June 11, 2012
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
1. Re: 12 hour layover 6am - 6 pm at JKA airport - what to do?

Note that the traffic is horrendous, so don't venture too far out from the airport.

Besides doing a tour of Kibera, which is a "unique" thing to do, i can't think of anything else to besides a short game safari in Nbi NP.

Consider Emakoko in the Nbi NP to put your feet up & relax, nature walk, swimming, it opened recently.

facebook.com/pages/…202406913125896

Emakoko is also review'd onTA.

Kisumu, Kenya
reviews: 27
2. Re: 12 hour layover 6am - 6 pm at JKA airport - what to do?

I'm not a fan of touring kibera since kibera is actually a community of people. if you want to see it and you have a little time before you travel then you could hunt for ngo's working in kibera and ask if you can visit. there are TON of them.

i agree with earlier posts that traffic can be terrible. i have sat for four hours in a jam in nairobi. so, you will want to be careful there.

village market and junction are good for shopping and food. Amani Ya Juu is an amazing project that is worth a look.

http://www.amaniafrica.org/

Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
3. Re: 12 hour layover 6am - 6 pm at JKA airport - what to do?

You say you're not interested in "doing" the elephants but Sheldrick really is unique and worth a visit - there's nothing like it in TZ. Also do-able given the amount of time you will have. Public visiting hours are from 11am-12pm. A taxi would be able to take you there and bring you back with plenty of time for a lazy lunch at a decent restaurant.

http://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/

Sydney, Australia
4. Re: 12 hour layover 6am - 6 pm at JKA airport - what to do?

Thanks so much for everyone's advice! I'll take a look into all the suggestions.

Also, I'll have a backpack on me that would have all my valuables (incl. laptop, DSLR, money, passport) the only options I can think of is:

- take it with me (the weight is fine - just concerned about safety)

- pay and leave it at the deposit at the airport

- hire a car for the day and leave it with the driver

- pay and leave it at a reputable hotel/hostel.

Would love to get your help on what you would do.

Clara-nc: I definitely agree with you and I would love to visit the individual NGOs to check out what they do and support them through their shops but the only reservation I had was safety in walking around to them. I read on the forum that it is not a good idea to walk around Kibera alone. Do you have any recommendations?

Edited: 3:59 am, June 12, 2012
Manchester, england
reviews: 8
5. Re: 12 hour layover 6am - 6 pm at JKA airport - what to do?

The traffic in and out of Nairobi at this time of day is horrific, there is no way I would be thinking of leaving the airport at all.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 4
6. Re: 12 hour layover 6am - 6 pm at JKA airport - what to do?

You've got a whole day, so even with the terrible traffic you can do things. You need a car and driver (Kenatco are a reliable taxi firm, but there are lots of others) and an agreed price upfront, then a short list of things you want to do. FL410's ideas are perfect. Or if you can find a genuine Kibera-based tour of that district – I'm still looking for an operator actually based in Kibera itself, there must be one or two – then by all means do that (I'm assuming you don't want to be taxi'd in by an outside agency). Whatever you arrange, they'll meet you at the airport and return you in good time.

Richard

Edited: 4:07 am, June 13, 2012
Sydney, Australia
7. Re: 12 hour layover 6am - 6 pm at JKA airport - what to do?

Thanks heaps Yankari. If you do find an tour operator based in Kibera please do share. I've only found Explore Kibera and Kibera Tours so far - leaning more towards Explore Kibera. Not sure if it is based in Kibera. Have you heard much about them?

LA
reviews: 4
8. Re: 12 hour layover 6am - 6 pm at JKA airport - what to do?

I've done all the things you've talked about, incl. Kibera and the Giraffe Center. If I was you, I would definitely hire a taxi and go to the Giraffe Center. That's a pretty unique and fascinating place. we are not just talking about seeing a few giraffes across a field of grass. you can hand feed them there - it's a really wonderful experience! You won't get to do anything like that on the safari itself, although the safari will be terrific! Your desire to go to Kibera is admirable. I help people there, so I know the place a little bit. African ghetto's are an amazing experience - if you have a very strong gut. But they are not exactly a "pleasant memory" if you catch my drift. They are getting help ... so might be best for you to see the giraffes and stay safe. :-)

Edited: 9:39 pm, June 19, 2012
9. Re: 12 hour layover 6am - 6 pm at JKA airport - what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 pm, July 04, 2012
10. Re: 12 hour layover 6am - 6 pm at JKA airport - what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 pm, July 04, 2012