We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kenya safari

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Albany, Oregon
kenya safari

Looking to go to Kenya on Safari with my college age daughter in July/August for 2-3 weeks. There are soo many tour companies to choose from. What is a good one to check out? I don't need fancy hotels- am willing to sleep in a tent on a cot or in a sleeping bag. I am interested in seeing the migration, the crater and Masai Mara. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also- for those flying over from the Northwest (out of Portland, Oregon to be exact) what airline has the best pricing?

Thanks

Courtney

Leeds
reviews: 2
1. Re: kenya safari

Hello

A company I can recommend is Glorious Safaris. We've booked with them twice and they have been great. Check out their reviews on Trip Advisor:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g294210-…

Drop them a line and I'm sure you'll be impressed with the level of correspondence from Shadrack - shadrack@glorioussafaris.com

The migration should be in Kenya if you went in August but the crater (if you mean Ngorongoro) is in Tanzania. GS are still able to organise a trip across the border but I'm not sure if you realised the geography.

Hope this helps as a start.

Edited: 6:59 pm, May 29, 2012
2. Re: kenya safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:12 am, May 30, 2012
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
3. Re: kenya safari

<< I don't need fancy hotels- am willing to sleep in a tent on a cot or in a sleeping bag >>

Consider:

1. Gametrackers & Best Camping Tours. Both of these outfitters have positioned themselves for Budget minded travellers.

http://www.gametrackersafaris.com/

http://www.bestcampingkenya.com/

2. 2N/3D Mara package with Enchoro & Ol Moran

http://www.enchorowildlifecamp.com/

http://www.olmorantentedcamp.com/

Apprx. USD 200.00 PP incl meals, transport, accomm. & game drives.

<< interested in seeing the migration, the crater and Masai Mara >>

Which crater ? is it Ngorongoro Crater in Tanzania ?

Good Luck.

Nairobi, Kenya
4. Re: kenya safari

Courtney,

As for the choosing of the trip especially safaris,several factors may greatly influence your choice of the tour company:-

Type of tour. Is it going to be a pool inn package or private tour,if pool inn,how much more would you have to top up to have for instance a private tour package if you so desired. Better still if pool inn,how many pax sharing the safari cruiser.

Quality of the game viewing drives,while some companies have set itineraries for you to fit inn,would you be allowed to customize your game viewing drives,so as to have extras such as full day game viewing with picnic lunch,Bush breakfast,or even walking safaris,if not included in the itinerary.

Choice of accommodation lodges and hotels.

Any and most of tour companies know the value of great guides and drivers,thus you should be assured of excellent communication,knowledgeable guides and safety driving while the trip lasts.

Value for money

Trust you will enjoy your Kenyan Safari trip.

John

nyc
5. Re: kenya safari

The migration is in Kenya's Masai Mara.

The Crater is in Tanzania.

The countries aren't as close as they appear on a map.

If visiting both you require Visas for both, US$50 for Kenya, US$100 for Tanzania along with Yellow Fever inoculation and proof of same for entry to/from/between countries.

July/August are peak season both countries with prices to match, but reasonalbly priced lodges/tent camps can be found.

You also have to consider whether you wish to drive or fly between areas within Kenya. Driving isn't always less expensive than flying... this can vary.

But in reality... what is your estimated budget?

During this period you have to expect to pay DAILY PER PERSON about $350 (if lucky*) to 650/person, to include: room/tent, meals, park fees, game drives, guide/vehicle, flights as applicable and taxes (of course.).

*guide/vehicle per day is approx. $225; park fees range from $50-100/person; so what's left has to be for a place to lay your head!

There are some Tour operators out of the States that do cover both countries, but know that these do entail lots of transit time on some nasty roads. Have you checked the likes of Overseas Adventure Travel (OAT) who also include int'l air. There are other such companies.

As to air from the West Coast - well, there's Delta via AMSterdam; also recently Emirates started flying from the West Coast and often has competitive fares. But, again... flight costs during these months don't come cheap. Best to check a site as Kayak www.kayak.com for schedules/prices. My guess, you have to figure minimum $2K (again if lucky).

In country outfitters to consider:

Gamewatchers

Wildtrek Safaris

Eastern & Southern Safaris

The Safari Company

Southern Cross

also check the KATO site for further names www.kato.com (or is it www.kato.org)?

You've got some work ahead of you on such short notice. Good luck!

Albany, Oregon
6. Re: kenya safari

Thanks for all the input. So do travelers normally fly between Kenya and Tanzania- or fly into Nairobi and out of Johannesburg?

Albany, Oregon
7. Re: kenya safari

oops-

I meant to say fly into NBO (Nairobi) and out of JRO (Kilamanjaro).

nyc
8. Re: kenya safari

You can fly OUT of JRO back to NBO on a Precision flight direct into the NBO airport to connect to your homebound flight - any carrier.

If flying KLM into NBO and out of JRO, know that the flight out of JRO first flies south to DAR to offload and then board all paxs heading home via AMSterdam.

Delray Beach...
9. Re: kenya safari

Does migration season extend into November and December? I found very good trip on oat.com that visits Kenya and Tanzania for 18 days. They have a reasonable price for a safari leaving Miami on November 14th and I want to make sure the weather is nice and that I will experience migration. I looked online at the seasons and have found conflicting answers. Michele

nyc
10. Re: kenya safari

The migration is a living thing, constantly on the move and in different locations/countries during different months.

For November, most of the herds that were in the Masai Mara, Kenya between mid-July-mid-Oct are usually on their return to the Northern Serengeti, from where they will move south thru the Central Serengeti (about late-Nov), and conclude at the Ndutu area of the Ngorongoro Conservation area (NCA), where from around mid- to late-Dec thru Mar remain to 'calve' their young; then from mid-Apr they start the move north thru Central to West Serengeti end-May/early-July, onto North and crossing back into Masai Mara.

Simply put and as this is not a zoo, that the herds move based on the rains and new grasslands to eat... no guarantee exactly where the migration is located any specific month... only a best guess.

I've been in the Mara late-Nov/early-Dec and found the herds still here when they should have been long gone south; also been in the Mara late-May/early-June and found them arriving rather than still being in the Western Serengeti.

But, do know that during Nov you might get some rain as this is the 'short-rainy' period, but it's rarely daily, all day and if lucky nught not have any. It sure doesn't inhibit safari and since the game don't go on holiday, varied game is to be found everywhere.

OAT does have good offerings, nice accommodations and price. They have small group size, average ages between 45-75, and they do overall get good reviews. While some complain dealing with their Boston office can be challenging, once in Africa... all goes very well.