We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safari clothing

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
GreatNeck
safari clothing

Where can I buy safari clothing in NYC or Long Island?

Kampala
reviews: 14
1. Re: safari clothing

You can visit clothes stores

nyc
2. Re: safari clothing

You don't really require 'special' clothing for safari.

Twill or cotton slacks* and tops are just fine and comfortable shoes. Along with outterwear, whether a jacket, fleece or sweater for early mornings and nights, along with a wide-brimmed hat to protect from the Equatorial sun.

*some people like the 'convertible' type that zip off at the knee to become a long walking short; though these do not make for a fashion statement.

It's suggested to stick with neutral colors (avoids showing dirt and dust) - tan, khaki, brown - that you can find most anywhere, there are no 'must have' items.

If you don't already have in your wardrobe, there's always The Gap, Target, etc. or other shops that carry these.

Boston...
reviews: 79
3. Re: safari clothing

we did very well at Columbia Sportswear

Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
4. Re: safari clothing

Unless you want to look like a total knobber, no multi-pocketed "safari" jackets or (and yes, some have actually done this) pith helmets, please!

Think hiking in the hills anywhere in rural North America but with lighter footwear, and you should have it nailed. The trick is to layer so that, when the chill of the morning wears off and gives way to a nice, warm Kenya day, you're left with t-shirts and shorts but the option to cover up again if a storm should blow up.

Safari njema!

Fort Lauderdale...
reviews: 90
5. Re: safari clothing

The khaki colors are not so much to not show dust but to not attract bugs and since you want to avoid bright colors which attract wild animals - in the wrong way. Also, multipack extend vests are great because you are not going to carrying around a handbag in the bush. They are perfect hold your chap stick, ug spray, camera, band aid, sun screen, binocular, get the idea? You make Less of a fashion statement in khaki than in anything else. Please remember you are in the Real bush in the Real Africa, not at the zoo.

Edited: 11:52 pm, July 21, 2012
Walnut Creek...
reviews: 23
6. Re: safari clothing

"Unless you want to look like a total knobber, no multi-pocketed "safari" jackets or (and yes, some have actually done this) pith helmets, please!"

Damn think I can get my money back from Amazon on my Pith helmet ?

…images-amazon.com/images/I/41m0FifOxIL.jpg

Edited: 12:04 am, July 22, 2012
Walnut Creek...
reviews: 23
7. Re: safari clothing

so what about tee shirts ?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 51
8. Re: safari clothing

You as a tourist are sat inside something large that the animals are used to, they treat your vehicle as a part of the landscape and the people inside are just part of the moving rock so it doesn't matter what colours you wear, so heed the practical advice regarding comfort, dirt and dust.

And what colour you are wearing is likely to have little effect on whether you get bitten or not, again especially in a safari vehicle.

It would be different of you were going on a walking safari.

Fort Lauderdale...
reviews: 90
9. Re: safari clothing

Really. As someone who grew up in Africa I can tell you it does make a difference .... You don't need to dress like Livingstone but yes there is a reason for the light colors. More than one. But after you come back, either with bites (most people are not in closed busses with no windows) or come back saying all the animals kept away or you come back minus a hand because some wild animal thought you were colorful prey... Let me know!

10. Re: safari clothing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, August 21, 2013