We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi layover

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 4
Nairobi layover

I wonder if anyone can advise me...

I arrive at Kenyatta next week at 4.10 in the afternoon, and have seven hours before my connecting flight leaves. I had intended to leave the airport, go to the giraffe centre and maybe do some shopping, but by the time I have got a visa and out of the airport it seems as though everything will be closed for the day! Any thoughts about what I could do instead? What time does it get dark? I'm travelling alone.

Many thanks in advance

Alice

Dar es Salaam...
reviews: 1
11. Re: Nairobi layover

Hi everyone,

Would really appreciate some help! My flight gets in to JKIA at 20:30 on the 18th April and my flight only leaves at 07:25 the next morning. I am a single female travelleling home. What would be a good hotel close to the airport kind of mid-range? Also is it easy to get a Kenyan visa at the airport?

Thanks in advance:)

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
12. Re: Nairobi layover

Not many mid-range hotels around JKIA with exception of Fahari Gardens

http://faharigardens.com/

Panari & Ole Sereni are on top end, i'm afraid.

Dar es Salaam...
13. Re: Nairobi layover

Thanks very much. Out of the two which would you recommend? I read on the forum that there is security issues at the Panari? Is it silly to look into the Fairview or the Inter-Continental?

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 188
14. Re: Nairobi layover

It's a close run thing. Fairview is super safe and will do a Meet and Greet.

But it is a good half hour or more to/from JKIA so you need to compute that into the equation.

If it was me, I would go there if security is an issue. They are next door to the Israeli Embassy and you don't get much safer than that.

Dar es Salaam...
15. Re: Nairobi layover

Safety is quite important but just because I am travelling alone. I am often alone all around Dar es Salaam- it doesn't bother me, and its not a problem?? Do you think Nairobi is any less safe than Dar?

Thanks so much for the help!

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 188
16. Re: Nairobi layover

<<Do you think Nairobi is any less safe than Dar?>>

Speaking personally? Yes, I most certainly do.

Don't misunderstand me, I don't think NBO is truly "dangerous" but I do advise a heightened level of street awareness and self preservation when there.

Dar es Salaam...
17. Re: Nairobi layover

Thanks so much for the insight! Have a good day:)

reviews: 47
18. Re: Nairobi layover

We have a long layover at NBO in Feb 2013. Ten plus hours. We have heard the first class lounge is not nice. Would we be better off at the Pub or the Java House for that long a period? Would the restaurant(s) be alright with our being there that long? Thank you in advance.

19. Re: Nairobi layover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 16, 2014