We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi layover

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 4
Nairobi layover

I wonder if anyone can advise me...

I arrive at Kenyatta next week at 4.10 in the afternoon, and have seven hours before my connecting flight leaves. I had intended to leave the airport, go to the giraffe centre and maybe do some shopping, but by the time I have got a visa and out of the airport it seems as though everything will be closed for the day! Any thoughts about what I could do instead? What time does it get dark? I'm travelling alone.

Many thanks in advance

Alice

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 159
1. Re: Nairobi layover

It will get dark around 18.30 so the Giraffes will not be a good idea.

In fact combine that with the traffic into and out of City at that time, I frankly would stay put and save the cost of the Visa.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
2. Re: Nairobi layover

Or book a cab for 4.45 or 5pm (should be okay) and go to a restaurant for a few hours somewhere in the Langata/Karen neighbourhood.

Richard

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 45
3. Re: Nairobi layover

Hi,

there isn't much airside at the airport, though the Java House Coffee shop does good coffee, food and drinks its near gate 14

If you go through Immigration but don't want to leave the airport there is a pleasant cafe / bar called The Pub with an open air terrace to the left as you come out of International Arrivals, about 30 - 50 metres past the entrance to International Departures on the pavement next to the car park between the terminals as it curves round to the Domestic Terminal

There is also the Simba restaurant also after Immigration in the central building.

See here for more info nascat.com/catering-services/…

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
4. Re: Nairobi layover

If it's 4 PM on a weekday, that's when traffic starts to buildup. If you must step out of the airport, then consider spending time @ either Ole Sereni or Panari. During peak hours, should take at least 30 mins to get to the hotel(s). I would'nt venture further than Panari/Ole Sereni & certainly not to Langata.

Or simply stay put at the JKIA.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
5. Re: Nairobi layover

Small addendum to my post - there's a very nice Indian Restaurant @ Capital Centre on MBA Rd called Haveli. Nice place to pass your time @ CC

Naivasha, Kenya
reviews: 2
6. Re: Nairobi layover

Agree with Stef - at that time you risk spending a substantial amount of time in a vehicle, unless it's a Saturday, or Sunday, looking at other vehicles!

Karen/Langata is ambitious, as it can take ages to get there (and back). Ole Sereni has good views across the national park and is about 7 km (fairly deep pockets needed).

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
7. Re: Nairobi layover

Very good points about the rush hour. . .

But isn't the inbound evening traffic relatively much less, at least as far as Nyayo stadium where you turn left for Langata? And coming back mid/late evening from Karen/Langata to JKIA wouldn't be a problem at all.

Richard

Telford, Shropshire
reviews: 66
8. Re: Nairobi layover

***there's a very nice Indian Restaurant @ Capital Centre on MBA Rd called Haveli. Nice place to pass your time @ CC***

Couldn't agree more Stef! Fabulous place to eat, I thoroughly enjoyed my visit there.

Min x

Naivasha, Kenya
reviews: 2
9. Re: Nairobi layover

In my experience, inbound traffic can be very dense at around that time, possibly one of the reasons being arrival of traffic from Mombasa.

However, I have no idea whether any of the new roads have eased the congestion.

London
reviews: 49
10. Re: Nairobi layover

There's a nice restaurant at Ole Serini (about 15 mins from the airport) called The Big Five - great open air terrace overlooking the Nairobi National Park - doubt you'll see any animals though.

There's also a nice lounge in the Panari Hotel call Al Pasha or something like that... and also Haveli as suggested by others.

I would try get out.. 7 hours in JKIA is torture.. all the shops have the same stuff and there's only one decent place to eat - Java.