We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

time on transit visa

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
york
reviews: 8
time on transit visa

if we get a transit visa how long does it last

Maryland, USA
1. Re: time on transit visa

The Kenya Embassy web site in the US says the transit visa is good for 24 hrs while the immigrations page on the Kenyan government's web site says 3 days (maybe default to the Kenyan government's site??). I've always been in and out of NBO within 24 hrs so didn't worry about it. Ask the immigrations officer who helps you what the time is.

See this for additional info, especially Posts 24-27:

tripadvisor.com/…36682631

nyc
2. Re: time on transit visa

As above, technically 24/hrs., but might vary depending on the Immigration officer when you get to the desk to purchase. Certainly not more than only a few days (2-3) and know that the Transit Visa CAN NOT be used to re-enter Kenya, i.e., if going to Tanzania, Rwanda, etc. and returning to Kenya to fly home or onward.

Mombasa, Kenya
3. Re: time on transit visa

Well said by Sandi.

the Hague
reviews: 36
4. Re: time on transit visa

I had a stay over of one night (24 hours) and asked for a transit visa. The officer was reluctant to give it. In the end I got it though by persisting. Not sure what the rules are though.

Good luck.

Maryland, USA
5. Re: time on transit visa

"Not sure what the rules are though." I'm pretty sure no one is sure!

Ostensibly, the transit visa is for the purpose of allowing visitors to catch connecting flights. One could argue that 24 hours would be sufficient, but...

The Kenyan Dept of Immigration's website specifies a validity period of 72 hours (3 days) for the transit visa,

The Kenyan Embassy in the US cites 24 hours, and

The Kenyan High Commission in Australia indicates a 48-hour period.

As mentioned above, always wise to have the Immigrations Officer in Kenya tell you how long.

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 159
6. Re: time on transit visa

Transit visas are for folks in transit to another country and not needed if you stay airside for a connecting flight.

Leave the airport for shopping, sightseeing or a sleep and you need one.

24 hours or 3 days?

Well as they are used to reach land borders with TZ, Ethiopia or Uganda this can take longer than 24 hours so three days is permitted. But as Princess Sandi says, they are a use once only ticket and lapse on exiting. You can of course buy another to return with but two transits can cost more than one full Visa which is also less hassle.

Edited: 7:30 pm, January 21, 2012
Maryland, USA
7. Re: time on transit visa

That's a good point about extra time being needed to reach land borders and a permitted allowance of up to 3 days. I'm pretty sure that on my last pass through Nairobi on the way to Tanzania the immigrations official, upon learning that I would overnight in Nairobi and leave NBO early the next day, wrote on my transit visa that it was valid for 24 hours (if I'm correctly reading his handwriting). It would fit that once a visitor requesting a transit visa declares his transiting plans the immigration official can establish the period of validity as appropriate, but not to exceed 3 days.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 45
8. Re: time on transit visa

From the Immigration Department website

❝These are visas required by all persons whose nationalities require visas to enter Kenya and are intending to transit through Kenya to a third destination for periods not exceeding three days and shall be issued strictly in accordance with the provisions of categories 1, 2 and 3 of the Visa Regulations❞

As you say Steve, this fits with the official issuing a transit visa for a period tailored to your particular requirements but not exceeding 3 days for most people in transit by air a single overnight stay should suffice hence a 24 hour one,

Visas are not only issued to people arriving by air, some people will arrive at one land border and traverse Kenya to another land border, or even a port, they may need a little longer (and certainly would have in the past).

Maryland, USA
9. Re: time on transit visa

Another good point about arriving at the land border and transiting across the country, Doffcocker. Between you and Mfuwe, I think I have a handle on this now.

Of course, before I get too cocky, I should remember this quote I saw at one website: "A transit visa into Kenya costs US$20 and allows for a maximum of seven days of travel [must have been shortened to 3] within the country. These are becoming more difficult to get and it rather depends on the mood of the immigration official on the day."

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 159
10. Re: time on transit visa

I have seen that too but let us be fair. Is it really right to take seven days to "transit". Some folks would abuse that for a short holiday.

(sometimes I am amazed by my own honesty.)