We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last Minute questions!

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
450 posts
3 reviews
Last Minute questions!

I'm heading off to Nairobi in 5 days....I got the last of my vaccinations today and also collected my Malarone tables (and I couldn't believe how expensive they were!!!) Getting all excited and organised :)

I have adopted an elephant (Ishanga) and I gave one to my Mum for her birthday (Kihari). I have seen people mention extra visiting hours for 'parents' but I haven't seen how you go about this. Do you need to contact them, apply etc?

Also with regards to haggling and bargaining - do you do it pretty much everywhere except places that are marked as 'fixed price'? What is a resonable % to start (or finish) at?

Thanks so much,

Mel.b

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Last Minute questions!

Hi,

when haggling for things half what they ask for right away and only ever pay what you feel the said item is worth.

Are you just staying in Nairobi? if so here in UK they are no longer concerned with tourists taking anti malarials these days if your just staying in Nairobi or Mombasa.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
450 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Last Minute questions!

I'm heading on safari in Kenya and also Tanzania, so unfortunately the anti-malarials are needed :(

That's interesting about the haggling - i would have thought about half price is what I should end up paying?

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
450 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Last Minute questions!

Another question!

I have a laser card, which is part of the maestro network. Does anyone have any experience with using this in Kenya? Otherwise I have a Visa debit caard issued by 02 that I could load up with money.

Thanks again:)

nyc
Level Contributor
14,081 posts
4. Re: Last Minute questions!

While NBO is supposedly safe from malaria and residents rarely take meds, it's also not at all unusual for people (local and visitors) to get bitten here. Personally, have seen and been bitten in NBO than when on safari.

So take your malaria meds for the duration of your time in both countries - 2/days prior arriving, while in-country and 7/days upon your return.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
450 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Last Minute questions!

oh yeah I will definitely be taking my anti-malarial tablets, I just couldn't get over how expensive they were (4.50euro a tablet and I needed 20). the doctor said they were expensive, he just didn't say how expensive!!

Anyone any experience with a laser card and / or the maestro network?

South Tyneside
Level Contributor
58 posts
14 reviews
6. Re: Last Minute questions!

That's crazy I thought £2.40 was high enough!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
14,389 posts
55 reviews
7. Re: Last Minute questions!

Hi,

If your Laser card has a Maestro logo on it it is part of the Mastercard Network and can be used at ATMs that are part of that network anywhere in the world.. However I understand from questions about Laser cards on the Barcelona forum that they can only be used for purchases in the Republic of Ireland.

While Visa cards are accepted at virtually every ATM in Kenya, Mastercards are not as widely accepted. They are accepted at KCB and CFC Stanbic ATMs. At KCB the maximum amount is 20,000/- per transaction, at CFC Stanbic the maximum amount per transaction is 10,000/-.

Barclays which have a wide spread of ATMs, used to accept Mastercard but for many months have had a technical problem where the ATM accepts the card but does not offer the facility to withdraw money. I haven't checked if this is still the case for a few weeks, I'll pop a card in the next time I pass one.

You should be aware that most pre-paid debit cards are part of the Mastercard Network so would suffer the same limitations with ATMs but they can be used for purchases at most places.

Nyeri, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
16 reviews
8. Re: Last Minute questions!

Its certainly worth trying haggling (almost) everywhere. My wife is an expert and haggles in shops as well as markets - she nearly always gets something knocked off the price. Its certainly worth a try.

The only places it won't work is in the supermarkets.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
450 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Last Minute questions!

Thanks Doffcocker,

If i am understanding your post correctly i should be able to use my card with the KCB and CFC ATM's? Is there one of those at the airport?

My debit card is visa, so might be worth using that instead if it gives more options.

As an ellie parent, how do i organise to go to the viewing in the evening?

Thanks,

Mel.b

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Last Minute questions!

"here in UK they are no longer concerned with tourists taking anti malarials these days if your just staying in Nairobi or Mombasa."

The UK is wrong. There is most definitely malaria both here in Nairobi and - particularly - in Mombasa; the coast is more prone than anywhere to it. Anti-malarials should be taken for the *entire* length of your trip, irrespective of what some quack in the UK says. Malaria is something you do NOT want to take back to the UK with you. Even if it doesn't kill you, the side-effects can (and do - I speak from experience) last a lifetime.

As an adopter, go to the Sheldrick website contact details page and send them an email (to the Kenya address) asking for an evening visit (from 5pm to 6pm) sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/html/contact_us.h…