We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenatco Taxis in Nairobi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 123
Kenatco Taxis in Nairobi

From the airport to the Hilton, went to the Kenatco Kiosk and pre-paid 2500 shillings (US $25). Had to make a few trips back to the airport for work during my two weeks in Nairobi and from the Hilton Kenatco was 1900 shillings (US $19) each time. Also during my stay, needed a car for a day a few times, and other times just needed a one way fare. The Hilton hooked me up with Kenatco each time. Overall was very happy with them, good service, nice cars.

But one story for you - on my last day I was in a Kenatco taxi on the way to the airport at night and at a police checkpoint we were waved over. After the cop looked at the car he said something to the driver and waved us on. What was that all about? The driver said that the cop apologized for having pulled us over. In the dark he had not seen the Kenatco markings on the side of the car So? Why would that matter?

The driver explained that Kenatco was owned by the Kenyan govt and had been established to provide "first world comfort" to visitors from abroad. And that includes not being shaken down for bribes by the beat cops or anyone with a badge. I asked if that was a problem and he said "yes", the cops see a white person in a taxi and the next thing you know there is an "inspection" and then something is "out of order" and then there is a "fine" to be paid...

He said they cant mess with Kenatco taxis - if a cop tried that with his car he is supposed to use his radio to call dispatch immediately and that cop would be in big trouble. And the cops know that, hence they dont even try with Kenatco taxis.

Mind you, this was not some driver telling me this on my way into Nairobi from the airport on Day 1 to scare me into using his business while I was in town. This came up after two weeks of using them and only because I asked.

Naivasha, Kenya
reviews: 6
1. Re: Kenatco Taxis in Nairobi

I have also used them. Very reliable and efficient service and you can book a taxi online. A little concerning that the Police cant mess with them.............what if the passenger is a criminal, terrorist etc???

The other compny I have used regularly is Jatco, based in Westlands. Clean newish and reliable vehicles. Also bookable online. Incidentally, a couple of days ago, my Daughter got a ride from Naivasha to Nairobi in a Jatco cab that was returning after dropping a customer - no charge. That is service for you.

Nairobi
2. Re: Kenatco Taxis in Nairobi

Think the Driver was just making up the story, Kenatco is no longer owned by the government but individuals who are using the brand name. This used to be a parastatal under the minstry of transport way back in 60's and 70's and had set standards which anyone joining Kentaco has to adhere to, e.g clean vehicles, discipline e.t.c. The police are at liberty to do their job and can take action on any Kenatco vehicle that contravenes the law, they have no exemption, whatever stories you heard from your Driver is all rubbish and does not hold any water,

All the best

New York City, New...
reviews: 123
3. Re: Kenatco Taxis in Nairobi

I dont think the driver's explanation was "rubbish" for three reasons. First, he did not say that Kenatico taxis were exempt from the laws. I quite agree that if he ran a red light, being a Kenatco driver would not give him immunity. He only said that it insulated him from corrupt cops trying to shake down passengers (and having experienced this in other countries, I believe that). The second reason is that when the cop who DID pull us over saw the Kenatco markings, he quickly apologized and waved us through. His body language and facial expression was very much "Ooops! My bad!". So, it was very clear to that cop that HE knew he should not be hassling a Kenatco taxi. Finally, the driver did not volunteer this - I had to ask. In other words, he was not showing off. I had used this driver previously in the week and he was a pretty low-key guy, not a "big talker".

Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 8
4. Re: Kenatco Taxis in Nairobi

I hope you could improve on your pick up, sometimes, the taxis arrive late!

Nairobi, Kenya
5. Re: Kenatco Taxis in Nairobi

Kenatco taxi is as efficient as the company's new management. My Kenatco taxi is never late for pick ups, however most of my customers hold me for hour which they pay and i delegate my regular portfolio clientele to colleagues . I provide exceptional service and my car is WIFI enabled . We put customer safty first

Driver: John kamwithi githuga 2013

6. Re: Kenatco Taxis in Nairobi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, July 05, 2014