We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Robbery near Kijabe....

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
reviews: 1
Robbery near Kijabe....

Okay, so here's the story: On Tuesday, October 18th, at about 10:15 a.m., on our second day in Kenya, my husband and i, along with our Kikuyu driver and rented vehicle, were ambushed and robbed on the lower Kijabe road by four men with a (apparent) gun and three double-edged pangas. The vehicle was forced down an embankment and into the brush, as windows were smashed and the three of us were led to believe that we might very likely be killed. We were robbed of cell phones, cameras, laptop computer, cash, jewelry, shoes and clothing and other stuff that we are still discovering to be missing. God was good, in that none of us was seriously injured physically...just severely traumatized, as you might imagine. The CID, the Kenya Police and several missionaries from Kijabe were very supportive and helpful to us in the aftermath. Our special thanks goes to our driver and two Kenya Police officers assigned to travel with us throughout the rest of our two week travels in Kenya, who were totally committed to our safety and protection, and because of whom, we were able to say that a "very bitter lemon" was turned into "the most delicious lemonade."

1. Re: Robbery near Kijabe....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:47 pm, November 04, 2011
Dingwall, United...
reviews: 68
2. Re: Robbery near Kijabe....

Here is the link to the latest incident;

reuters.com/article/2011/11/04/uk-kenya-atta…

Very sad for Kenya's tourism industry.

3. Re: Robbery near Kijabe....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:54 pm, November 04, 2011
Leesburg
reviews: 15
4. Re: Robbery near Kijabe....

This really makes me nervous. Both reports are in areas we plan to visit.

Do things like this happen all the time?

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 13
5. Re: Robbery near Kijabe....

What a trauma.... but this says it all .....................a "very bitter lemon" was turned into "the most delicious lemonade."

Well done for carrying on with your holiday

Dingwall, United...
reviews: 68
6. Re: Robbery near Kijabe....

Volunteerohio

I've been to the Isiolo area several times on the way to Samburu. There is a lot of security in the area due to the large number of Somali refugees in the area. There have been occasional incidents but it certainly has not put me off going back to that area. Given the thousands of people who visit it is highly unlikely you would have problems. However there is always an element of risk in visiting the remoter parts of any African country. Personally I believe it to be less of a risk than walking through downtown areas of many European and American cities. As always be sensible and take reasonable precautions.

Kenya is a beautiful country and the vast majority of people are welcoming and happy to see you but as in all countries there is a "bad" element.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 26
7. Re: Robbery near Kijabe....

Thank God you were returned home safely! Hard to even imagine the fear and subsequently, relief when freed.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 50
8. Re: Robbery near Kijabe....

really sorry for your ordeal, it must have been terrifying.but you seem to be coping exceptionally well.

As for the other incident in the link in post #2. Cross-border raids from rustlers and bandits after cattle and goods are common in the area.

As recently as last Saturday lots of families fled their homes for the safety of Isiolo Town to escape from violence between pastoralist groups.

nation.co.ke/News/…index.html

This is nothing new, it is a known risk, this area is specifically mentioned in the newspaper debates that pre-date the Somali conflict.

My personal view is that it was extremely unlikely that the vehicle was targeted because it had tourists in, I think they just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Based on the number of tourists visiting Kenya and the frequency of such banditry attacks I would say the chance of being involved in one as a tourist are well over 1 in a million.

Kenya
reviews: 22
9. Re: Robbery near Kijabe....

So sad!! Thank God you're sound and safe!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 26
10. Re: Robbery near Kijabe....

Given the nature of the robbery ("We were robbed of cell phones, cameras, laptop computer, cash, jewelry, shoes and clothing and other stuff that we are still discovering to be missing.") it seems to me that this was a targeted incident, rather than infighting between pastoralist groups. But what do I know . . . nothing other than how it appears to me.

It is very unfortunate and I'm glad that folks survived such a scary ordeal.