We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nairobi mombasa train

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Level Contributor
86 posts
5 reviews
nairobi mombasa train

i want to take this trian on 18 november,what is the best way to do this.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
14,389 posts
55 reviews
21. Re: nairobi mombasa train

Richard,

for future reference the landline numbers are too short, there are two digits missing from them

(safc asked me to try them for him as he was having no luck, I'm also getting 'the subscriber cannot be contacted' on the mobile number. I suspect that if this was a feasible way of making a booking Seat 61 would have included these numbers but it specifically says book in person at the station or do it through one of the links it provides)

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,527 posts
7 reviews
22. Re: nairobi mombasa train

Thanks Doff, yes I was being a bit dozy about those numbers.

I've now posted the photo of the fares and schedule sheet and a short write-up on my Kenya blog (see my TA profile for url).

Richard

uk
Level Contributor
86 posts
5 reviews
23. Re: nairobi mombasa train

iam struggling to find the info on your blog could you possibly post it on here for me thanks

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,527 posts
7 reviews
24. Re: nairobi mombasa train

All my blogs are on my TA profile (just click "Yankari" and then click "Profile")

The Kenya blog is:

theroughguidetokenya[dot]blogspot[dot]com

Richard

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7 posts
97 reviews
25. Re: nairobi mombasa train

Broken plastic seats, not fringed velvet!

We've travelled by train in Africa before (Tazara train in Tanzania), but this was worse than expected. No romanticism involved, just a nerve-wrecking ride through the night with windows and doors locked against robbers (the conductor came and locked the windows, so we had no air), squeaking of brakes, mysterious, long stops before hurtling on again at what felt like break-neck speed. No, we did not sleep! Then in the morning, when we had looked forward to enjoying breakfast in the dining car while watching the scenery, we were told to get off the train as another train had capsized on the line ahead of us. "You're on your own!" was the message from our conductor. We were 90 km from Mombasa. We saw families with children break down and cry. The train personnel did nothing to assist us, but other passengers offered help. In the end, we had our hotel in Mombasa send a car out to our rescue. Only good thing I can say about this train is it's cheap, USD 65 1st class (which includes dinner and breakfast), you can book and pay on the Internet, but pick up tickets at railway station some hours ahead of departure, as lines are shorter then. Dinner was good. Toilets defy description. We travelled between Christmas and New Year 2011. Four adults.

derbyshire
Level Contributor
48 posts
22 reviews
26. Re: nairobi mombasa train

I've used the train several times and it is always one of the highlights of my trip. Last time the train broke down and arrived 4 hours late but we were prepared for a delay and seeing an elephant from the window at breakfast made up for it. I've been fortunate enough never to be stranded thankfully.

Nairobi
4 posts
27. Re: nairobi mombasa train

Better you book train tickets and pay in advance, It would be better to contact train travel booking companies to arrange the ticket for you. Kenya railways will need payment to guarantee the seat as Allan have said.

You can check with this two train travel booking agents http://www.kenyatrainbooking.com and www.nairobi-mombasa-train-tickets-booking.com they have good recommendations reports.

Check this link: nairobi-mombasa-train-tickets-booking.com/na…

The two companies are also listed in http://www.seat61.com/Kenya.htm#Nairobi to Mombasa by train for their train travel reservations services.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
28. Re: nairobi mombasa train

Um, why has this thread been resurrected after 11 months? The original post is over a year old!

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
29. Re: nairobi mombasa train

I took the Nairobi /mombassa train over 35 years ago and it looks like not much has changed

.it is an amazing adventure... worth the trip and mombassa is beautiful..cheap way to travel and pretty safe.................

30. Re: nairobi mombasa train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:31 pm, November 05, 2013