We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nairobi mombasa train

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
uk
reviews: 5
nairobi mombasa train

i want to take this trian on 18 november,what is the best way to do this.

31 replies to this topic
Nairobi
1. Re: nairobi mombasa train

Hello Safcuk

It would be better to contact tour companies or a friend in Nairobi to arrange the ticket for you. Kenya Railways will need payment to guarantee the seat.

Hope this helps

Allan

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
2. Re: nairobi mombasa train

How many are travelling ? 1st class has 2 berths & 2nd class has 4 berths.

Prices are PP sharing. That means, unless you are in group of people to occupy either 1st class or 2nd class, you might end up sharing with strangers.

They have website from which you can reserve seats, but i suggest to get a friend to buy tickets on your behalf.

http://www.kenyatrainbooking.com/

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 46
3. Re: nairobi mombasa train

Hi,

have you read 'The man in Seat 61'? loads of good info and views on the train, includes advice on how to buy tickets

http://www.seat61.com/Kenya.htm#Nairobi to Mombassa by train

I shouldn't be answering a Mackem's questions after the way you outplayed us at the Reebok, yet again ヅ

Mombasa
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Tsavo National Park East
reviews: 16
4. Re: nairobi mombasa train

go to the railway station on the day of travel and confirm the train is traveling and buy the Ticket. Please make sure you have no urgent engagement the next day as it can arrive at any time and with bigger delay. Also take some water and food in-case of these delay. So if you adventures this is great fun.....

Nairobi, Nairobi...
reviews: 1
5. Re: nairobi mombasa train

To Mombasa by train,kindly lemmie know your experience i might as well go for it during my December vacation .it a experience worth experimenting.

kenya
reviews: 10
6. Re: nairobi mombasa train

better you book and pay in advance,from the city center you can walk to their office or take a Tax,normally Tax will cost you not more than 5usd from the city center.

uk
reviews: 5
7. Re: nairobi mombasa train

iam travelling alone and arriving at 12.30 on the day i want to take the train,so i think pre-booking is the best option,who is the safest/reliable company

nyc
8. Re: nairobi mombasa train

Know that the train doesn't depart NBO daily, rather alternate days. So get the schedule to know when you can head from NBO to MOM. Train departs 7pm and should arrive MOM 7am, but can often take longer.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 46
9. Re: nairobi mombasa train

sandi,

It actually only runs twice a week at the moment, on Monday and Friday from Nairobi to Mombasa returning on Tuesday and Sunday. The timetable is on the link I posted above, As it happens the OP wants to travel on a Friday

SAFC,

For booking agencies, East Africa Shuttles is the one 'The Man in Seat 61' recommends, details on the linked webpage above.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 4
10. Re: nairobi mombasa train

And just a note to anyone looking at websites offering to buy tickets on your behalf for a commission (like East Africa Shuttles and the one mentioned by stefanilarda), the actual current ticket office price for an adult Nairobi to Mombasa or vv – berth, bedding, dinner and breakfast – is Ksh3660 1st class (around $36) and Ksh2640 2nd class (around $26). Meals (dinner Ksh700, breakfast Ksh470) are paid for separately, so you can actually do the trip for Ksh2490 1st class and Ksh1470 2nd class.

I checked at the station in Nairobi last Monday.

Richard

Reply to: nairobi mombasa train
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted