We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 hours in Nairobi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northampton, United...
reviews: 4
24 hours in Nairobi

7 a.m. TO 7 a.m. What would you recommend my wife and I (both 50-somethings)should try to see and do?

Carmel, California
reviews: 11
1. Re: 24 hours in Nairobi

What are your interests?

Some places you can visit are:

Nairobi National Park - you can go on a game drive here though it may not be that interesting if you've already been on safari, there's also an animal orphanage on site

Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage - open to the public from 11:00 to noon, watch the baby elephants and rhino getting their mudbath

Giraffe Centre - hand feed endangered Rothschild giraffe

Karen Blixen Museum - former home of the author of Out of Africa

National Museum (currently undergoing renovation until June? 2006) - anthropology, ethnology, paleontology exhibits

Railway Museum - railway cars and memorabilia from the East Africa Railway

For shopping:

Kazuri Beads - women's cooperative making handmade beads & pottery

Utamaduni - collection of craft shops, prices on the high side but provides one stop shopping, nice garden restaurant for lunch

The Junction - collection of upscale shops/boutiques

Qualicum Beach...
reviews: 50
2. Re: 24 hours in Nairobi

Thats great advice PattyC. I will be in a similar situation - 40 hours in Nairobi. I would love to see the babies get their mudbaths :)

Northampton, United...
3. Re: 24 hours in Nairobi

Thanks but I need to be more specific. We are in Nairobi en route to Northern Tanzania so maybe don't want to see animals.

We will be in Nairobi on a Sunday in April.

Does this help you suggest something to do. Will hotels be able to organise City tours like Singapore?

Stoke-on-Trent...
reviews: 2
4. Re: 24 hours in Nairobi

Hi

PattyC's info was good. the Giraffe Centre will let you feed the Giraffe's so will be nice prior to your Safari.

Also Karen Blixen Museum would be good and then lunch at the suedo house (on the same estate)

the Maasi market (at the yaya centre on a sunday) if you feeling like finding a bargin..but be prepared to haggle and high presure sales

and finaly Dinner at Carnivore resturant

if you are only there for 24 hours then that will be enough i think

Qualicum Beach...
reviews: 50
5. Re: 24 hours in Nairobi

Thanks Finch-Hatton...sounds like you just planned MY stay in Nairobi... :)

London
6. Re: 24 hours in Nairobi

Hi there,

That sounds a great itinary finch hatton!

Superluke---If you can I would certainly eat at the carnivore...it is a fantastic experience for the meat lovers amongst us...

I went at the begining of February and the memories of it still makes my mouth water....

it's a set price for the food...drinks are extra....the meat is cooked on spears over a large charcoal(?) pit...night we were there we had soup, then they bring a big salad and sauce tray to the table and a hot iron plate for the meat, they then bring around the meat and slice it in front of you...we had lamb chops, roast lamb, beef, turkey, pork, ostrich, camel, crocodile, ostrich meatballs, chicken livers, and something else which i'm not certain what it was....followed by hot pineapple pie. then went next door and danced the calories off in the disco (free to diners) we went on a sunday evening, we didn't book beforehand and were lucky to get a table, I can't recommend it highly enough.....when are you going in April...think i may be going again myself on Sunday 9th....ohhh i can taste it already ......

Canada
7. Re: 24 hours in Nairobi

You have received a lot of good advice already, but something else to consider in Nairobi is the "Bomas of Kenya" where you can see the types of villages built by the different Kenyan tribes but more importantly see a great show of tribal dancing, with some acrobatics.

Northampton, United...
8. Re: 24 hours in Nairobi

heartinnyali - sorry - I'm there on 2 April but thanks for the low-down on Carnivore. Would you recommend it for Sunday lunch?

oklahoma city...
reviews: 3
9. Re: 24 hours in Nairobi

you definitely must see the show in bomas , its worth the visit , be sure bring a good camera with bright lights, also if you have a chance see the museum of the bombing of the american embassy, have fun but watch your passport closely as mine was stolen and it was a nightmare

Manchester UK
reviews: 11
10. Re: 24 hours in Nairobi

are there any walking safaris or similar that you can do for the day ??