We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Odyssey Small Group Tours

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento
Level Contributor
15 posts
Odyssey Small Group Tours

We're considering an East African Safari with Odyssey Tours, and I was wondering if anyone had heard of them or had experience with them. They operate world wide, so I'm sure they sub-contract, but I'd appreciate any information anyone has. We are in our late 60's, and this will be our first trip to Africa. Thanks. C5000

Boston...
Level Contributor
64 posts
36 reviews
1. Re: Odyssey Small Group Tours

I think you may be thinking of Odyssey Unlimited. We just returned from a safari with Odyssey Safaris who also do small group tours. Our trip was very well planned and run. good luck.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
22 posts
2. Re: Odyssey Small Group Tours

Odyssey?. Check out if they are members of KATO . It gives you some kind of confidence and head start if they are and KATO is one of tour operator regulator in Kenya as they have code of conduct.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
22 posts
3. Re: Odyssey Small Group Tours

Odyssey?. Check out if they are members of KATO . It gives you some kind of confidence and head start if they are and KATO is one of tour operator regulator in Kenya as they have code of conduct.

Sacramento
Level Contributor
15 posts
4. Re: Odyssey Small Group Tours

Yes, I do mean Odyssey Unlimited. I haven't heard of Odyssey Safaris, but I will check them out. Thanks!

Sacramento
Level Contributor
15 posts
5. Re: Odyssey Small Group Tours

Thanks. I've just started to look at the KATO site. They seem to have a wealth of information. Terrific advice.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,081 posts
6. Re: Odyssey Small Group Tours

Whether Odyssey Unlimited or Odyssey Safaris, it's the itinerary itself that is important. Unfortunately, many of these 'set' tours include lots of driving, long distances, nasty roads... rather tiring and take-up what otherwise could be game viewing. With their dates and choice of accommodations. While this pricings appear to be very attractive (often including intl air), the routings themselves might not be, especially for 'time of year.'

You can always consider designing your own routing, the number of days, lodges/camps, etc. These don't necessarily have to be more expensive than if with a group. And, still perfectly safe.

While not this tour operator, but friends just departed on a tour that arrived Nairobi,, 2:30am, then with Immigration, Visa, collecting bags and transfer to hotel, probably not arriving before 4am... were then leaving on actual safari at 9am... ugh! So you do have to evaluate what is being offered and whether it truly works for you. Am waiting for friends, whom I advised not to go with this itinerary (overall), to advise what it was like when they get home.

Sacramento
Level Contributor
15 posts
7. Re: Odyssey Small Group Tours

Thanks for the advice. Yes, the itinerary really does matter. I'd be interested in hearing about your friend's experience when they come back, as well as their experience with the tour operator they chose.

Boston...
Level Contributor
64 posts
36 reviews
8. Re: Odyssey Small Group Tours

We enjoyed the Odyssey Safari itinerary: Samburu, Lake Nakuru, and Masai mara.

I found the drives interesting and a chance to see something of Kenyan life. Most of the roads seemed better than we anticipated, perhaps because the vehicle was comfortable.

It is a personal decision but we had plenty of time for game drives including one all day game drive.

Plainview, New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: Odyssey Small Group Tours

Hi Vinny, We are planning an Odyssey Unlimited tour to South Africa in

July, 2013. Were you happy with guides and accomodations on your trip?Any info you can give me would be most appreciated. Thanks, Stan

Plainview, New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
10. Re: Odyssey Small Group Tours

Hi Vinny, I am not sure if my message got through. I had trouble registering. Sorry if this is a duplicate. We are planning a trip with Odysey Unlimited to South Africa in July, 2013. Were you happy with the guides and the accomodations? Did they meet/exceed your expectations? Any information you give me would be most appreciated. Thanks, Stan