We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenya visa processing time

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northern Ireland
Kenya visa processing time

Hi I am due to fly to Kenya in two weeks time. I am quite concerned as our visa from the high commission still has not arrived even though it was over a week ago. Has anyone else had difficulty awaiting on their visa. I have tried to contact them but cannot manage to get through. I have since emailed them.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 50
1. Re: Kenya visa processing time

Hi,

i had the same problem when I sent off for my multi-trip visa in January. i presume you sent it Special Delivery, and so tracking can confirm they received it?

Two weeks after they had received mine I rang them, they said they had run out of the stickers and had had to send off to Nairobi for them. The lady said they had received the stickers that day and she would make sure mine was processed straight away. Sure enough, tracking started that night to show it had been posted and I got it the next day. A couple of weeks later someone posted saying they had had a similar problem but this time they were waiting for receipts from Nairobi. Maybe they have run out of something again.

Try calling them again, and ask for the visa department

Northern Ireland
2. Re: Kenya visa processing time

Many thanks for your reply. I did send the applicati on by royal mail special delivery service. The email I sent has been delayed to the commission for what reason I am unsure. Just hope its sorted before we are due to fly.

Selby, United...
reviews: 23
3. Re: Kenya visa processing time

Hi

it was me who had a problem with the having no receipts. I emailed several times but never had a response, keep ringing.. As soon as I spoke to someone and stressed we had less than a week to go they posted it straight away.

London, United...
4. Re: Kenya visa processing time

The visa should be obtained well before your departure date, if I remember correctly the visa is valid for 6 months from when it is issued so if you were going to Kenya in June/July/August 2011 you could apply for it now.

No point in waiting until the last minute and stressing yourself out.

nyc
5. Re: Kenya visa processing time

No point sending to the Kenyan Embassy... just purchase on arrival in Kenya. This way you don't have to worry about the posts, insufficient stickers or whatever... then hoping to get it returned in time for your holiday.

Northern Ireland
6. Re: Kenya visa processing time

Thanks to all of you for your replies. Unfortunately I have lost the reciepts I recieved on the day we sent them. Is it still possible to find where they are? The visas where sent well advance of the trip which is now two weeks on Wednesday the 30th March. We obviously need our passports to travel on the 11th April. Still no sign of them today. It was not just my visa its also my mums as well.

London, United...
7. Re: Kenya visa processing time

"No point sending to the Kenyan Embassy... just purchase on arrival in Kenya. This way you don't have to worry about the posts, insufficient stickers or whatever... then hoping to get it returned in time for your holiday".

Depends on the situation. If you are flying directly to Mombasa with a party & you have to wait for everyone else to get through then it's pointless applying for visa by post, however if you are landing at Nairobi and need to catch a connection the time wasted queueing up could turn out to be very expensive if you miss your flight.

Northern Ireland
8. Re: Kenya visa processing time

We are flying from Belfast to London Heathrow and then from Heathrow out to Nairobi. We then fly on Wednesday the 13th April out to Mwanza to stay with our family. We have already obtained our Tanzania visa which arrived less than a week from our application. Any further advise would be grateful.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 50
9. Re: Kenya visa processing time

Nic,

Just my personal experience, but I find its the other way round, if you are entering via Nairobi, which I normally do, although the queues are longer for people without visas i have always been through before any bags have come off, so having a visa or not has made no difference.

Coming through in February was the first time I already had a visa, partly to do with saving money (multi-trip), and partly because I was booked on the Martinair Amsterdam - Mombasa flight (see later), because of Air Traffic control problems I had missed that flight and was booked on a Nairobi flight the next day . Anyway at Nairobi the queues were a little bigger than usual so staff were managing them and routing people so that the queues were of equal length irrespective of whether they had visas, were East African Community citizens, or not.

if you are entering through Mombasa, and not part of a party it could save you time to buy in advance as when a big charter or the Amsterdam Martinair flight land the queues are bad and it can take an hour or more to clear Immigration if you do not have a visa. The queues for people with visas are much smaller and move twice as fast, but even then there is no guarantee that you wont end up waiting for your bag. The previous time I took the Martinair flight to Mombasa it took me 45 minutes to get through (I had been at the back of the plane but was still not at the back of the queue) and I still had a short wait for my bag, and the couple that were right at the front of the with visas queue where still waiting for theirs when I left

London, United...
10. Re: Kenya visa processing time

I usually travel in February using Kenya Airways and go straight through the East African gate at Nairobi with my visa sticker already in my passport and the baggage is promptly put on the conveyor belt.

It is common for people to get stuck in the visa queue and miss their connecting flight to Mombasa although if you have booked with Kenya Airways from Heathrow to Mombasa & miss your flight because of the delay you will be put on the next flight out at no extra charge if there is space, it just means waiting another hour.

Sometimes the arrival time from Heathrow to Nairobi can be very close to the Nairobi to Mombasa flight so the extra time spent in obtaining the visa can make the difference.

Nevertheless everyone's circumstances are different and there are a lot of variables involved :-)