We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carnivore Restaurant, Nairobi - do you have to book ?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Biggera Waters...
reviews: 5
Carnivore Restaurant, Nairobi - do you have to book ?

When we go to Nairobi / Mombasa in June / July 2006, I think we have one night in a hotel in Nairobi before we go on our safari. I was hoping that we may be able to try the Carnivore Restaurant which I have heard so much about. Is it necessary / possible to book tables ? If so, what is the best way to book - can it be done on-line ?

Any comments or recommendations would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

Carmel, California
reviews: 11
1. Re: Carnivore Restaurant, Nairobi - do you have to book ?

Here's the website for the Tamarind Group which operates the Carnivore - http://www.tamarind.co.ke/ - they have an online booking feature, though I've never used it.

Sheffield, UK
reviews: 7
2. Re: Carnivore Restaurant, Nairobi - do you have to book ?

We ate in the Carnivore last March upon arrival in Nairobi. We didn't book, just turned up and there was plenty of space and tables available. You're right in going - it's absolutely fantastic, a meat lovers paradise! Be sure though, if you're staying near to Mombasa to visit the sister restauarant which is called Tamarind. If anything, this is even better than Carnivore although the focus is more towards seafood (still plenty of meat dishes though). Some people think that Tamarind consists only of the two boats they have which sail at sunset and have a lovely but restrictive menu (for obvious reasons) onboard. We ate actually at the restaurant as well, which has a superb location overlooking the Mombasa coastline.

You mention that you have a night in Nairobi before departing for your safari. If this is the case, as well as Carnivore I can also definitely recommend a visit to the Norfolk Hotel for a G&T or similar, on the Lord Delameere (spelt incorrectly I think) Terrace. This place really is wonderful and still feels very old and colonial.

Nairobi
3. Re: Carnivore Restaurant, Nairobi - do you have to book ?

Carnivore restaurant is normally packed at times.It has excellent.. mouth watering game meat... you shouldn't miss it! try the website provided to book a place.. or you could call once you arrive in Nairobi to reserve a table. All the best

Biggera Waters...
reviews: 5
4. Re: Carnivore Restaurant, Nairobi - do you have to book ?

Many thanks for all the reponse. We can't wait - we just hope that we can get there depending on our itinerary. We are staying for a weeks All Inclusive at the Papillon Lagoon Reef in Mombasa, so we may avoid the hotel buffet one night and visit Tamarind as suggested. Cheers folks, thanks for the advice.

London, England
reviews: 31
5. Re: Carnivore Restaurant, Nairobi - do you have to book ?

We didn't book when we went there and there were 5 of us. You just ask for a table when you arrive and then wait around at the bar until there's a table free. It was a really worthwhile experience, you can impress your friends with tales of having eaten snake, crocodile, ostrich etc and of course, gazelle meat balls! colineal@hotmail.com