We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving Jan 12th...need Hotel, Guest House, and Tour...

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Monterey, CA
reviews: 2
Arriving Jan 12th...need Hotel, Guest House, and Tour...

We are arriving Jan 12th and will be needing a moderately priced hotel or guest house for our first two nights in Kenya. After we have gotten settled, we will be visiting the local tour offices to arrange for a few safaris. We will be in Kenya for four weeks and therefore are not pre-planning too much in advance. For hotels or guest houses we would like something fairly nice but under $125 US per day. We would really like to stay at a local guest house if in a safe area. WE operate a B&B ourselve and would love to meet and get to know the local folks better. For safaris and tours we are looking at camping, tent, walking, camelback, and such. We will also probably look at one lodge safari as well. We would like to include at least one trip into Tanzania. We will be using Nairobi as our base camp and therefore would love some ideas on what to do in the city itself. We have been planning and saving for this trip for over 15 yers and we are really excited. We have looked at several tour companies....Will Bell Tours and African Mecca...any comments? One thing we are learning as we do our research is that waiting until getting to Nairobi is going to save us hundreds of dollars in purchasing tours locally. Sorry for the long note....can you tell we are excited and need some help? Many thanks in advance.....

Tom and Bobbie

1. Re: Arriving Jan 12th...need Hotel, Guest House, and Tour...

suggestion for hotel: i have stayed at the Hotel Boulevard: around the corner from the Norfolk. rather inexpensive, but comfortable. I met a lot tourists, hikers and missionaries at lunch and during tea. I am going to nairobi in dec and spending four nights at the Fairview Hotel this trip. Safaris----, i booked from the USA using Nairobi based: JMAR Safaris: jennifer radcliff. she has a great tent camp in the masai mara and it is so comfortable and awesome, i am returning. She can book any other safaris as well. I am doing samburu and the mara this time and did just the mara last time. But Jennifer knows of a great place: Elsamere..where they raised elsa the lion in the movie Born Free. what a great spot with fabulous food, very much a B and B type place. Please contact Jennifer and tell her tina sent you. I am a return traveler, and that must say a lot for my satisfaction from the first one..

Any other help, just let me know. I travel alone and have met some amazing people and cannot wait to return to see them..

Tina

Monterey, CA
2. Re: Arriving Jan 12th...need Hotel, Guest House, and Tour...

Hi Tina,

Thanks so much for your suggestions. We will contact Tina. Which safari did your take with her? We looked at her website and it only shows one Kenaya/Tanzania. Thanks.

TL

Monterey, CA
3. Re: Arriving Jan 12th...need Hotel, Guest House, and Tour...

Wow! Heard back from Jennifer and her email sounds very appealing. Has anyone done business with africapoint.com, mountsafaris.com, or SOMAK?

4. Re: Arriving Jan 12th...need Hotel, Guest House, and Tour...

re: jennifer at JMAR Safaris

I did the masai mara (Kenya)with her while staying at her camp in the mara: duma camp --it was fabulous and i am returning.

This trip in december i am doing the same and then also Samburu (kenya)--hear they have leopards. She booked everything for me and i travel alone so it all worked out great. No big group, comfortable place, great people.

any other questions, let me know.

5. Re: Arriving Jan 12th...need Hotel, Guest House, and Tour...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:25 am, June 14, 2007
Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
6. Re: Arriving Jan 12th...need Hotel, Guest House, and Tour...

If you are non-smokers and don't want a bar, I thoroughly recommend the ACK Guest House, Bishop's Road - very close to the Fairview. Prices extremely reasonable and very nice people. (ACK is Anglican Church of Kenya).

If you are interested in non-tourist things and places, like Western Kenya, Mt Elgon etc, let me know and I'll give more info. I live in Western Province.

Asifiwe

Monterey, CA
7. Re: Arriving Jan 12th...need Hotel, Guest House, and Tour...

Well, a week into our final planning and we are overwhelmed and grateful for all of the help thus far. We have been in contact with Jennifer at Toni's reocmmendation and have also found a very nice gentleman named Jeremiah from MountSafaris at the recommendation of several other folks. The guest house mentioned above has favorable reviews. We are on our way in planning and wish to say MANY THANKS to the Kenyans and outsiders for their generosity of heart.

Thanks so much!

8. Re: Arriving Jan 12th...need Hotel, Guest House, and Tour...

Tom and Bobbie

glad that you have enough information to make a good decision. Hope that jennifer has helped you and continues to.

going to kenya is the best decision you made. it has stolen my heart and two times in one year is a blessing. If you decide on jennifer you will not be sorry, and i wish you luck. Remember to take a great camera!

Have fun

Tina

kenya
9. Re: Arriving Jan 12th...need Hotel, Guest House, and Tour...

Hi Tom and Bobbie,

Just read your posting at the trip advisor and got this to tell you.

That the money that you have quoted is far high than the real this here. Iam sure no tour firm will support me but let me tell you that there are so many guest houses and hotels so cheap and very secure for tourist. Yesterday I went to the airport and helped two Asian tourist coming to Kenya to skydive. I picked them from the airport to the city at only $15 They got each a guest house nice and secure at only $15 per night per person. I took them to Mombasa by Bus at only $15 per person. Iam now working on their safari after they finish their sky diving. Iam sure if you go through a tour firm you will pay $15 per person which makes it more expensive. You can still make things even more cheaper by staying 167 kms away in a good hotel with good seurity. Drop me a mail at come2kenya@yahoo.com

bye

Some of Mulembe

London, England
reviews: 4
10. Re: Arriving Jan 12th...need Hotel, Guest House, and Tour...

Come2kenya....if you don't mind me saying...at least you have been upfront and honest...and good luck to you. Dockwil2005 who posts on here always talks as if he know's someone that has used and recommend's a certain company.... he forget's to tell people that he is the managing director of that certain company.