We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi Airport connections

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gijon, Spain
Nairobi Airport connections

Hi there,

I will fly to Nairobi on January, and the only cheap flights are getting there overnight. I need to take a shuttle bus connection to Arusha (Tanzania), but I think I'll have to wait a few hours before it.

Questions are:

1. Is it safe to wait 4 or 5 hours in Jomo Kenyatta Airport? I've been in Kenia before, but landing and departing from Mombasa airport.

2. Anyone knows which company carries shuttle bus service, and if they have a web page to check timelines?

3. Can I find there an ATM to get some local currency?

Thanks to help me.

Cheers.

Stefano

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 52
1. Re: Nairobi Airport connections

Hi,

It is safe, but might be a bit boring, there is not a lot to do. there is a decent coffee shop next to gate 14 (it can get packed if some of the big flights are due to go out). there is a lounge of dubious quality (use the search facility for more info). There is a decent cafe / bar 50 metres or so on the left as you leave the International Terminal (on the way to the Domestic terminal).

There are ATMs around, there is one almost immediately on your left as you leave the terminal.

Sorry don't know about the shuttle

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 6
2. Re: Nairobi Airport connections

Stefano

There's unfortunately still no airport shuttle as such (hard to believe, but there it is), but most of the big hotels will send a vehicle, though they will usually add a per-head charge to your bill. Otherwise, you can organise a taxi to pick you up. Or just get one on arrival. And finally, you can use City Hoppa bus #34, but keep hold of your belongings on this service. It goes to the main bus station and then to Nairobi Hill.

Richard

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 52
3. Re: Nairobi Airport connections

Richard,

Sorry if I've misinterpreted but I think Stefano actually wanted a bus to Arusha not to a hotel in town

Doff

Rwanda
4. Re: Nairobi Airport connections

I'm thinking you're talking about the shuttle from JKIA to Arusha. Have a look at these two:

http://www.scandinaviagroup.com/

http://www.riverside-shuttle.com/

Scandinavia is heavily used by backpackers and recommended. Both pick up at the airport early morning.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 6
5. Re: Nairobi Airport connections

Ah, yes, thanks Doff, my mistake. Sarah, I have a feeling Scandinavia doesn't operate in Kenya any more.

Richard

London
6. Re: Nairobi Airport connections

I still don't think they have rooms at the aiport so you will either be forced to wait or get a room in town.

For the shuttle I think I read in some travellers review of Riverside shuttle..you should google them.

Nairobi, Kenya
7. Re: Nairobi Airport connections

Hi Stefano,

The following shuttle buse companies ply the Nairobi to Arusha route.

.Impala Shuttle

.Riverside Shuttle

.Jamii Shuttle

.Bobby shuttle

All these buses are of high standards and all depart at 08h00 from the city centre (Parkside hotel near Jevanjee Gardens).

They can pick you up from the airport on request basis only as they usually go straight without passing by the airport.

You may also take a cab ($20) to town and board from the Parkside hotel stop. This will be the best option in case you don't have a phone to communicate with the driver besides grabbing a good seat! (Hope the road will have been finished by then)

All major banks have ATMs at the arrival terminal as mentioned by others above.

All the best

Gijon, Spain
8. Re: Nairobi Airport connections

Thanks to all, now it's clearer.

Will be there in January 2010, still have some time to define a few more details. I'm not an all-inclusive tourist, but I like to have some milestones to follow.

Thanks again. Cheers.

Stefano

9. Re: Nairobi Airport connections

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:32 am, April 04, 2010