We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in Kenya

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami
Shopping in Kenya

I am leaving to Kenya in a week. We will be visiting 3 camps. Amboseli, Samburu and Masai Mara.

We will want to do some shopping which we will have the last day in Kenya to do so.

I need to know where I can find African Mask and Dolls for cheap. Should I do my shopping while at the camps or wait until I get to the city?

Thanks,

Francis

nyc
1. Re: Shopping in Kenya

Cheap is relative. Items can also be of such poor quality, it was a waste for whatever "cheap" price you paid for it.

Lodges/camps all have souvenir shops where you can check out type of items available. Prices can be higher than elsewhere, but not always. You will also find tribal ladies/men selling items along the roads, where you can bargain for items.

If you find something you like when at any of the parks, and might not find elsewhere and price is right... buy it. Otherwise, if you choose to wait till you return to Nairobi and depending on how much time you have, you can go to Nakamutt (there are a few around town), the Masai Market (believe it's on Friday). There's also the Collector's Den at the Hilton Hotel, street level... lots of small items at reasonal prices if for gifts; better items especially jewelry in the back room. Your guide or tour operator can certainly direct you to places around town.

Dolls, however, aren't all that easy to find, at least I haven't found many choices. They do have some stuffed ones with mom carrying baby on back.

I'm sure others here on TA will have more ideas.

Pretoria, South...
reviews: 68
2. Re: Shopping in Kenya

jambo Francis

would advise you do your shopping in nairobi...at the 'masai markets'..

here is where you can find the masai markets in nairobi on various days...

they have a variety of curios and kenyan crafts (lots of masks)...and you can bargain on the price (unlike shops which might be more expensive as they do have higher overheads) but do check on quality as sometimes this is lacking...

Friday (Village Market)

Saturday & Sunday (High Court parking)

Sunday (Yaya Centre)

Tuesday (Westgate Mall)

for dolls - theser are not too commonly seen around...you might need to get these from a shop..

you can try banana box (sarit centre) or the blue rhino (abc)

enjoy!

sw

Berlin
3. Re: Shopping in Kenya

Agree with the post above.Nairobi Masai Mara is the best place for masks shopping but i advice you to use local currency rather than Euros or Dollars to avoid many price scams.

Pretoria, South...
reviews: 68
4. Re: Shopping in Kenya

jambo again francis

found the dolls at 'marcopolo'and 'siafu' at the karen shopping centre!

enjoy!

Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
5. Re: Shopping in Kenya

Nice one Sweetwaters! I love shopping at MarcoPolo - they had just finished refurbishing when I last went in there; stocked up on nice house "things" (that I didn't really need), horse "things" (that I didn't really need), and then had lunch (that I probably didn't really need either) at Que Pasa. All rather agreeable... :-)

reviews: 1
6. Re: Shopping in Kenya

The masai open air markets are cheaper (their crafts are very good too) and depending on the day you will be in Nairobi you can check them. bargain also for good prices

Friday (Village Market)

Saturday (High Court parking)

Sunday (Yaya Centre)

Tuesday (Westgate Mall)

Wednesday (capital Centre, on the way to the airport)

Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
7. Re: Shopping in Kenya

mianzi, did you not read the previous posts? You have just duplicate posted everything Sweetwaters wrote in her original reply!

8. Re: Shopping in Kenya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 05, 2010