We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using credit cards in Nairobi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
reviews: 10
Using credit cards in Nairobi

We'll be in Nairobi for 2 nights next week and wonder how much cash we'll need there. Do restaurants typically take credit cards (like Talisman)? How about stores in the village market, Kazuri factory, etc.? Thanks! Claire

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 6
1. Re: Using credit cards in Nairobi

High end places, including virtually every shop/buiness at the Village Market mall, and restaurants like Talisman, all take Visa. Kazuri. . . I'm not so sure.

Richard

Washington, DC
2. Re: Using credit cards in Nairobi

Thanks, as always, Richard! Anyone else out there know about Kazuri? Claire

nyc
3. Re: Using credit cards in Nairobi

Kazuri takes credit cards.

CA
reviews: 131
4. Re: Using credit cards in Nairobi

If you take cash, make sure you get all newer bills from the bank in U.S. We just got back from Kenya/Tanzania, they wont accept my $100 bills b/c they were printed prior to 2000, I asked why, she said b/c lots of forgeries prior to 2000. I had to go thru all my $100 bills to pay for our hippo excursion. One time I paid $10 for drink, they wont even accept it, same problem, he did take 2 $5 bills, then I ran out of $5 quickly. I never check the money my bank gives me, will do that from now on when I travel abroad and ask for new bills.

Washington, DC
5. Re: Using credit cards in Nairobi

Thanks for the tip on the newer bills. I always thought the problem was the poor condition so many US bills are in, not the date of their production. I got a stack of ones and fives to take; I'll check out their dates.

Sandi - So glad to hear Kazuri takes credit cards. Are their prices set or are you expected to bargain there? How about bargaining at the village market? Claire

Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
6. Re: Using credit cards in Nairobi

Kazuri is a "proper" shop, so no bargaining.

Nairobi
reviews: 1
7. Re: Using credit cards in Nairobi

If you want to bargain, I suggest you visit the Masai market, if you happen to be in town on a Saturday - great buys and great prices too!

nyc
8. Re: Using credit cards in Nairobi

FL410 - Love the way you say Kazuri is a "proper" shop. It sure is.

OP - While some of the items might be considered expensive, believe me, that at the few places one can buy in the States have limited selections and prices almost twice.

Their earrings and bracelets (you can make sets - for gifts) are reasonably priced. Necklaces tend to be more expensive, but beautiful. For certain you won't see others wearing these.

They also have pottery items.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 6
9. Re: Using credit cards in Nairobi

Claire,

Just to clear up any confusion, Village Market is a mall, well a whole shopping/business complex, not a market as such. But it hosts a "Maasai Market" on its rooftop car park every Friday when traders come in with all the usual beadwork, crafts etc. And yes, you certainly can bargain, though you'll need to be quite robust to get the prices down!

Richard

Washington, DC
10. Re: Using credit cards in Nairobi

Thanks, everyone. Richard, I'm glad you explained the difference. And rats, we don't arrive til Saturday morning and leave Monday morning, so we'll miss the rooftop market. Although there's always our last day, which is a Friday... Claire