We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slum Tours

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,678 posts
Slum Tours

Hi, good or bad?

what do you think

guardian.co.uk/world/2009/sep/25/slum-touris…

Ivan

Shanzu, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
54 reviews
11. Re: Slum Tours

Yes FL I have read "Dead Aid" and whilst I agree with it's theory putting it into practice is more difficult.

I, like many people have learnt that the give, give, give approach doesn't work on it's own. We have helped several people set up their own businesses which is far more beneficial in the long term.

The problem is it takes time to set up businesses and not everyone is capable of running their own business.

As you have pointed out in previous posts alot of the problems are caused by your so called 'politicians'.

Because of their corrupt behaviour and the allowing of corruption within the police force what chance does the average Kenyan have and how can the culture change with the example they set.

Even if millions of Kenyans could set up their own little businesses to support their familes the Politicians and Police would find ways of helping themselves to a large chunk of their earnings.

I have just read It's our turn to eat by Michela Wrong. Although I realised that there is wide spread corruption I never realised the scale of it.

The 'kitu kodogo' mentality needs to be changed before most Kenyans beefit from any form of Help.

I use the word help rather than aid.

Cambridge
Level Contributor
344 posts
30 reviews
12. Re: Slum Tours

Yes, I fear Corruption has a lot to answer for and must dishearten honest Kenyans from trying to help themselves, It must also tempt the poor to try and get a slice themselves by fair means or foul.

I am currently reading Africa by Richard Dowden and that is also a very interesting read, trying to explain from a historical background some of the issues Africa now has _ I haven't got to the part about "the way forward" but I do worry that a dependancy on aid and the ingrained apathy I perceive exists in many countries does not bode well for Africa's future.

Kenya
Level Contributor
191 posts
22 reviews
13. Re: Slum Tours

I agree with FL totally! Her words might be a bit twisted et al...but she has a very valid point.

And on the bright side..There are many tour operators and NGOs that are coming up and only encouraging tourists to 'empower' the slumdwellers financially by starting micro finance projects and training them on business management as well as supporting them with small loans for startups et al as opposed to 'give'. It might be a bitter pill to swallow for most of us who're used to giving handouts,but the handouts dont exactly help the people. Next time,look for an operator or organisation that encourages 'hand ups' and NOT 'hand outs'. Let the slumdwellers earn their living with dignity. And by the way,It's true about some of them having huge chunks of unused land back in the village,but they flock to the city to look for 'greener pastures' and after findiong out that the pastures aint that green..they feel ashamed to flock back to the village carrying nothing from the big city of milk and honey.

Nairobi
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
14. Re: Slum Tours

As a Kenyan living in the country, I don't believe these people are flocking to Kibera to idle their days way - slum it may be - but from Nairobi, they can eat and drink and for most, school their children. The "lush fertile lands" upcountry, really speaking, don't provide much of an income for a small scale farmer - the Kenyan rich, own the huge tracts of land, can afford to transport their products to Nairobi and even they, are facing challenges with rising fertilizer prices, fuel prices, poor infrastructure and the list is endless - what chance does a small scale farmer have? what he does have though, is a chance for a better life, albeit in a shack in Nairobi. Thousands of Kibera men are up at the light of day and walk all the way to Nairobi's industrial area, and make the walk back in the evening. They have 100 shillings to 250 shillings to show for their days effort, back home, they would get this for an entire sack of sukuma wiki (the brokers buys them at 50 cents a bunch, which retails at 5 bob in Nairobi) and it has taken them two months to grow this sack! The Kibera women, line the estate gates of the richer suburbs, hoping to do your laundry for a fee. If they are lucky, they could take home upto 750 shillings a day - it would take them a long while to make this amount back home.

15. Re: Slum Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 29, 2010