We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for one week in Kenya

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Itinerary for one week in Kenya

Planning on going to Nairobi next year and would like to spend 7...9 days to see highlights of Kenya. What is the best itinerary?

My initial plans are:

Days 1-2: Visiting Nairobi

Day 3: Nairobi National Park

Days 4-7: Masai Mara National Park.

Can I see something more, if i stay there for 2..3 more days?

Thank you :o)

nyc
1. Re: Itinerary for one week in Kenya

When are you visiting?

While the Mara is always great and you'll see the Big-5, outside of the Migration period (mid-July - early-Oct) when repeat visitors often stay 4, 5 or more days... you can certainly get more out of your itinerary. Also, any specific reason to be spending 3/days in NBO?

Consider:

Day 1 - Arv. - o/n NBO

Day 2 - NBO - sightseeing: Natl Park, Karen Blixen Museum, Giraffe Center, Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage, markets, national museum, etc. - o/n

Day 3 - Drive (4.5/hrs) to Amboseli (great for elephants, other game also and views of Kilimanjaro) - o/m

Day 4 - Amboseli - o/n

Day 5 - Drive (4.5/hrs) via NBO (2.5/hrs) to Lake Nakuru (flamingos, other birdlife, Rothschild giraffe, rhino) - o/n

Day 6 - An early game drive at Nakuru before drive (5/hrs) to Masai Mara - o/n

Days 7 & 8 - Masai Mara - o/n

Day 9 - Drive (5-6/hrs) to NBO and homebound.

That's your 9/days. Unless you have specific interests, will be a great "taste of Kenya"

Depending on your budget you can replace some drives with flights

Pretoria, South...
reviews: 67
2. Re: Itinerary for one week in Kenya

jambo poline

spending 3 days in nbi is a bit on the higher side ..also the nbi national park is not that grand if you are having the opportunity to see the mara or even amboseli as 4sandi says.

Augsburg, Germany
reviews: 5
3. Re: Itinerary for one week in Kenya

Jambo Poline,

to save some time i would suggest you the following:

not sure at what time you will arrive in Nairobi, so i think 1 night might be okay.

From Nairobi you can fly to the Amboseli and meet there your driver.

Day 1: Nairobi

Day 2: flight from Nairobi to Amboseli

Day 3: Amboseli

Day 4: driving from Amboseli to Lake Nakuru

Day 5: Lake Nakuru

Day 6+7: Masai Mara

Day 8 flying from Masai Mara back to Nairobi.

Maybe this will also be worth a thought. With the flying options you can save some time, that you can spend for game drives.

Bye

Chrissy

Nairobi
reviews: 1
4. Re: Itinerary for one week in Kenya

Hello Poline,

I would recommend going to Northern Kenya - since you do want to get the best of Kenya:)

Day 1: Nairobi - depending on time of arrival, you may be able to enjoy some excursions

Day 2: Nakuru by road

Day 3: Sweetwaters / Mountain Lodge / The ark or similar

Day 4: Samburu by road

day 5: Samburu

Day 6: Fly to Mara

Day 7: Mara

Day 8: Return to Nairobi- could be by rad or by air

Texas
5. Re: Itinerary for one week in Kenya

Thanks everbody for suggestions & recommendations. How about HITS Safaris or MICS Safaris- ?

Both have given very reasonable prices.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
reviews: 100
6. Re: Itinerary for one week in Kenya

We just returned. We arrived last in the evening into Nairobi and the next day did the Giraffe Center and the elephant orphanage. I would not miss either. We did not really have a desire to do the Blixen Hourse. We flew from one area to the other which saved time but I am sure increased expenses.

We visited Meru, Shaba and the Mara. We spent 2 nights in Meru, 3 in Shaba and 4 in the Mara. I would, in the future, spend 3 nights at any reserve/park I visit. 2 nights is really not enough anywhere as you get there on day one, have the entire day 2 and then leave the next day.

ashford, kent
reviews: 63
7. Re: Itinerary for one week in Kenya

We have booked with MICS to go in October 22nd. not long to go now.

I will post a report when i come back.

vin

Texas
8. Re: Itinerary for one week in Kenya

I'm going with a group of friends in March next year...I'm so excited and I just can't wait to read your report.

9. Re: Itinerary for one week in Kenya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:33 am, March 28, 2010