We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari walk/animal orphanage/elephants/giraffe in a day?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kent
reviews: 3
Safari walk/animal orphanage/elephants/giraffe in a day?

Hi There,

I am in Nairobi for a day and want to do as much as possible. Is it realistic to be able to fit in the safari walk, orphanage, sheldrick and the giraffe centre? Are they all pretty close? Do you have to get a taxi between them?

Also, can you go to the animal orphanage without doing the safari walk? Can anyone advise how much it costs?

Any other advice / must dos would be appreaciated.

We have a 3night Samuru safari and 5night Masai safari booked too.

Thanks

Oxford
1. Re: Safari walk/animal orphanage/elephants/giraffe in a day?

You don't say where you are staying in Nairobi or are you just coming back / going to safari. The main problem with Nairobi is the time it takes to get anywhere. The roads are chaos. The Sheldrick orphanage is only open to the public for 1 hour a day unless you have fostered a baby in which case you can visit early evening to put them to bed. Sorry, I can't remember if it is 11 - 12 Noon or 12 - 1pm but that is easily checked, so I suggest you plan your day around this.

The giraffe centre is about a 30 minute drive away from Sheldricks so you should be able to fit that in.

I don't know about the animal orphanage and safari walk but I am sure others will.

When you've planned your day book a taxi and negotiate a price to take you to your destinations and wait for you.

kenya
2. Re: Safari walk/animal orphanage/elephants/giraffe in a day?

All these place are on the same location You can easily manage.

Roads in Nairobi are not chaos, it needs planning. Sheldrick place is open 11am-12pm.Charges = shs 300.

Giraffe is better in the afternoon, in the morning hours, there are many school group.Charges shs700=us

$10

Safari walk is $20 but you can skip it since you are doing safari.

Enjoy.

Nairobi
reviews: 9
3. Re: Safari walk/animal orphanage/elephants/giraffe in a day?

Hi,

I recommend you start early with the Animal orphanage(USD 15 per person) then proceed to Daphne Sheldricks. From there you can then visit the giraffe centre or the Mamba Village.

Another place I would recommend is Bomas of Kenya where you get to see the different tribes of Kenya and their traditional lifestyle.

Probably you could take lunch at Carnivore restaurant where you will sample game meat.

I hope you do enjoy your safari too.

Pretoria, South...
reviews: 66
4. Re: Safari walk/animal orphanage/elephants/giraffe in a day?

jambo!

morning: start with daphne's ellies

followed by giraffe centre..

lunch - you can go up the road to karen 'crossroads' mall and have a light meal there and some good coffee at dormans or nicer sit-down meals at osteria, talisman, rustynail restaurnats (all very close proximity)..

then come back down to the animal orphanage (you can skip the safariwalk ..as mentioned above you doing safari already)

head back to where ever you are staying by 4.00 pm to avoid horrendous traffic jams!

just a note...carnivore do not serve game meat anymore.

enjoy!

5. Re: Safari walk/animal orphanage/elephants/giraffe in a day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:06 am, September 13, 2009
6. Re: Safari walk/animal orphanage/elephants/giraffe in a day?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 pm, September 09, 2009
Pretoria, South...
7. Re: Safari walk/animal orphanage/elephants/giraffe in a day?

thanks FL410!!!

8. Re: Safari walk/animal orphanage/elephants/giraffe in a day?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:46 am, October 18, 2009
Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
9. Re: Safari walk/animal orphanage/elephants/giraffe in a day?

Hmm, obviously some of our newer posters clearly can't take the truth! Sorry Sweetwaters, my inoffensive post seems to have disappeared into the ether...

I still reiterate: ostrich and crocodile served at Carnivore are NOT game meats. They are farmed. Capisce?

Pretoria, South...
10. Re: Safari walk/animal orphanage/elephants/giraffe in a day?

no worries FL410 - i saw it and gathered the same...

agree with you totally!