We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

are there any bad points why kids can't go to kenya

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
wales
3 posts
1 review
are there any bad points why kids can't go to kenya

are there any bad points why kids can't go to kenya?

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: are there any bad points why kids can't go to kenya

Who says children cannot go to Kenya????

the only "bad" point- is the cost !!!!

bucks
Level Contributor
431 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: are there any bad points why kids can't go to kenya

nope nope nope...

all kids should go to kenya for many reasons, one good reason is 2 learn. kids in this country think they are hard done by when they cant have the latest computer game or a new pair of trainers, a trip to kenya and the local schools is usually a very good eye opener for them! (some adults too)

mad about kenya, join our facebook group.

www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=123505640390

nyc
Level Contributor
14,023 posts
3. Re: are there any bad points why kids can't go to kenya

"can't"

They certainly can, but generally children are ready for safari when then truly understand rules/regulations... age 7-8, especially for game drives.

Some properties simply don't allow children under a certain age (6 or 7). Others insist that it be an independent (own vehicle) safari so parents are responsible for their own children. Besides, young children aren't appreciated on game drives with adult guests.

The cost can be an issue, but many properties offer reduced prices for children from 2/yrs, thru 12/yrs, even for teens when sharing with parents or their siblings.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
6,838 posts
19 reviews
4. Re: are there any bad points why kids can't go to kenya

It should be compulsory! What an eye opener for them.

Downsides - trying to get the malaria medication into small children. I'm sure our hotel neighbours thought that I was trying to kill my youngest every morning. Also the long flight can be a nightmare - hopefully they will sleep on the night flight out - take plenty of things for them to do.

They'll love it.

wales
3 posts
1 review
5. Re: are there any bad points why kids can't go to kenya

thanks for all your comments, when would be the best time for them to go weather wise, sometime when they can stayb out all day and not have to worry to much about heat stroke?

nyc
Level Contributor
14,023 posts
6. Re: are there any bad points why kids can't go to kenya

When? Most anytime.

Seasons:

Jan-Mar - mid-season rates most places, the hottest months; considered "summer"

Apr-May - "long" rains, though never any guarantee, mild-temps; low-season rates

Jun - mid-season rates; mild-temps

Jul-Sep - peak-season with the Migration in the Masai Mara; highest rates, mild temps; Aug-Sep considered "winter"

Oct - some lodges/camps lower rates to mid-season; mild temps

Nov - "short" rains, though never any guarantee; mild-temps though starting to warm up; mid-season rates

Dec - early part of month at mid-season rates, maybe some rain; from 15th or 20th rates go into holiday -Christmas/New Year.

Mornings/nights are always cool to cold; outer wear is necessary. Layers are good to peel off as the temps rise and lower.

Being on the Equator, daylight hours year-round are between 6am-7pm. Sun is strong so SPF is highly recommended for exposed skin for everyone, along with a hat.

Oxfordshire, UK
Level Contributor
75 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: are there any bad points why kids can't go to kenya

My parents took me to Kenya when I was eight. I'm 34 now, and it was without doubt the most amazing experience of my childhood (particularly the safari), something which I still remember vividly and judge all other holidays by.

As far as I remember, the only thing I disliked about Kenya was the lizards you see everywhere (totally irrational as they are harmless) and only problem I had was with the anti-malarial drugs which caused me to have a seizure - but the drugs you get now are very much improved.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
76 reviews
8. Re: are there any bad points why kids can't go to kenya

None whatsoever, we took our children to Kenya ten years ago for a holiday that changed our lives completely, our children visited a school in Shanzu Village, Mikoroshoni P.S., seeing children come to school and work all day without anything to eat, then go home and do their homework in houses without any electricity made them realise just how fortunate we are in the Western World. The "I want" attitude stopped immediately & we feel that they have now grown up with a more caring compassionate view as a result of this holiday.

In 2005 when the school was rebuilt many of the people who went out there to help also brought their families and all said it was a very humbling experience to see just what lengths these children went to just to get an education.

If you do go, please visit a school or orphanage, it enriches children to see a different culture and you will all enjoy the experience!!

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,451 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: are there any bad points why kids can't go to kenya

Completely agree with everyone on this. It's a brilliant learning experience for children. Ours have been going to Kenya since the middle one was 5 months old. The only thing I would say, ironically perhaps, is that below a certain age most children (well ours anyway), just don't appreciate the safari experience itself. Half the magic is the expectation and the appreciation of where you are and what you're witnessing. That doesn't seem to arrive with most children until the age of 7 or 8. So we had lego cowboys on the termite mounds outside our tent, and more interest in a plane going overhead than elephants at the water hole. But maybe they were also reacting subconsciously to the very obvious enthusiasm of their mum and dad! I guess it's something you have to try not to force. If they're already mad about wildlife TV programmes, they'll be ecstatic.

Richard

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,592 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: are there any bad points why kids can't go to kenya

Some wonderful answers here.

A lot depends on your kids themselves and how much you can afford. If money is tight, leave it until they are old enough to appreciate it.

We have had youngsters come to our rural setting with their parents and help to build a mud house etc! 16 is the youngest to come without a parent, but be careful about teenagers who "know best". If they will buy food at the side of the road, behind your back, and then eat it with unwashed hands, then you may have to cope with dysentry. (true story!!)