We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hol safari and coast for 2010

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
wales
reviews: 6
hol safari and coast for 2010

I went on a package hol to kenya with parents over 20 yrs ago and knew 1 day i'd go back-so hopefully next year i will take my kids on a safari and a coast hol. Now here's the problem-

After reviewing holiday descriptions i am a bit wary of virgin hols / i also thought it a good idea to take pens etc but then reading some of these forums mean i want to fund raise etc this year as i did not realise the situation in kenya is so bad / my kids are over 12 so they class as adults and package costs are £10,000 upwards! So-

1 Does anyone have any experience of a DIY holiday and is it easy to do? I have done my own booking for europe but am a bit nervous about kenya so would it be best to book package hols?

2 If we stay in Nairobi does anyone know of a reputable taxi driver we could contact to take us to elephant orphanage and giraffe centre as this way the money would go direct to them and not to hol company?

3 I want to take something with me for a local orphanage or school and hope to get extra baggage but is money a good idea? I thought i could open a bank account for my charity funds and withdraw the cash to give to them out there. Anyone have other ideas?

4 Has anyone been to Samburu as i cannot decide samburu and mara or amboseli and mara?

5 Finally does any have experience of hols with virgin(they seem to give the best prices but does this mean lodges etc are poor?)and are there any hotels/game lodges that we should definately avoid?

I would be so grateful for suggestions as i have been looking at brochures for the last year and my brain is now fuddled.

Hasselt
1. Re: hol safari and coast for 2010

Hi,

As for the Nairobi trip to the Nairobi orphanage, you may contact MICS Safaris. They do have vans and 4x4s stationed in Nairobi. The cost for this shouldn't be anywhere above US $ 70.00 If you can, both Masai mara and samburu are worth a visit. They are all unique and have unique wildlife and sceneries.

I would suggest you take money with you for the orphange but do the shopping yourself- Dont give em money!

Pretoria, South...
reviews: 66
2. Re: hol safari and coast for 2010

jambo!

just briefly..

-- yes you can do your own holiday itinerary and book direct..just figure out where you want to go (areas) and according to your budget you can find suitable accommodation and then we can confirm if it is a good plan.

-- lots of taxi's readily available - i'll be happy to recommend.

-- save carrying heavy bags and buy items locally for your charity gifts (food stuffs mainly are appreciated - clothes are in abundance! and cash might not get to being spent in the way you want)

-- personal recommendations: mara and amboseli (samburu can be a bit dodgy security wise at times)

however please note - kenya is not cheap; prices have gone up considerably over the past year and fuel just went up this week so all else will follow..

nairobi
3. Re: hol safari and coast for 2010

hi 20yrs is quite long time and its worth it to go back there,alot have changed and i beleive for better.

its good and convenient to book pac hol lather than just going there blindly.

in kenya taxi are all over every point you stand and on each corner so no need of having anyone in mind for this,they are informed about all the places within and out of nairobi.

About the Orphanage just carry money and buy the stufs for them in nairobi to avoid hevay baggage in the plane,and dont give out money because it might end up not buyinh what will profit them.

all aparks in kenya are unique in one way or another but sumburu is quite a distance north but also worthwhile to visit.unlike mara its not heavy visited and it rare to spot many safari vrhicles crownded in one spot.

have heard about them but never experienced their services but its also a reputable compmany.

Though between now and 2010 is still time,you have enough time to shop around and get the best to provide you with good services.I may not fully recomemd WILDLIFE IN ACTION SAFARIS but you can also reach them and also compare.

www.wildlifeinaction.com

4. Re: hol safari and coast for 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, December 02, 2009