We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe is it to volunteer in Kenya?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL
reviews: 1
How safe is it to volunteer in Kenya?

I plan on working in a clinic in a rural area about 20KM from Nairobi, and I was wondering how safe the country is right now.

I've been hearing lots of mixed things about this.

Thank you

Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
1. Re: How safe is it to volunteer in Kenya?

The country is fairly stable now. If you're talking in terms of safety in relation to the unrest that occurred in January 2008, nothing like that is going on. Even when it was, no tourist or mzungu (Caucasion/European) was ever in danger because the unrest was tribal.

Few sub-Saharan African countries ever experience the kind of stability and security of their First World counterparts but, as long as you are aware of this, use a little common sense and keep your wits about you, you'll be fine. We have thousands of gap-year students coming all the time who are perfectly safe and have a great time.

If you are volunteering through an organisation, they should be able to assuage your fears and give you simple precautions and guidelines to follow.

Come!

London
2. Re: How safe is it to volunteer in Kenya?

Hi, I'm also considering going to Kenya (not far from Nairobi) with Quest Overseas to do some Water Relief work building damns.

I wanted to know how safe it is now?

Are there any things that I should look out for in particular?

Has there been problems with having Chinese people?

Thanks!

Saff

Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
3. Re: How safe is it to volunteer in Kenya?

"I wanted to know how safe it is now?"

Pls see my answer above. The country is reasonably stable right now.

I'm not aware of any problems caused by being Chinese, or any other Asian nationality. We have nationalities of many kinds working here and all are welcome :-)

4. Re: How safe is it to volunteer in Kenya?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 07, 2009