We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency exchange

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
Currency exchange

Does anyone know if it is possible to exchange USDollars for Kenyan shillings in New York? My flight arrives late on a Friday night in Nairobi and i may not be able to get to a bank until Monday morning..hate to arrive in a place without usable money in my pocket.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
1. Re: Currency exchange

All money should be exchanged in Kenya not the U.S.A or Europe because you will get ripped off big time.

When you arrive in Kenya the main airports should give you a good deal however don't exchange at hotels they are notorious for their poor rates.

Before you travel you should have some idea of the exchange rate so have a care, don't get conned.

Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Currency exchange

I wouldn't exchange at a hotel. Masai Mara Serena tried to exchange at 70KS to US$1 which I declined because I knew it was about 81KS just a few weeks ago. I used many times Barclay Bank ATMs (everywhere and at Nairobi Airport) because of my bank no transaction fee affiliate with BofA.

Check with your bank if they have no fee bank ATMs available.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
14,258 posts
55 reviews
3. Re: Currency exchange

Xhere are Forex bureaux at the airport that will probably be open and will give you a better rate than you would get in the US. There are also ATMs at the sirport, there is one on your left as you leave international arrivals

Level Contributor
509 posts
4. Re: Currency exchange

At Nairobi airport I always find the FX exchange inside the baggage area gives a very good rate. This is a little window on the right as you look at the exit doors. As long as there are flights landing he will be open!

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
389 posts
40 reviews
5. Re: Currency exchange

Yes change it when you get to Kenya I learned the hard way

6. Re: Currency exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 23, 2009