We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

moving to Nairobi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 35
moving to Nairobi

I'm moving to nairobi for six months (October 2009 - March 2010). Does anyone have any advice on where to look for furnished apartments?

My budget is roughly 45,000 - 65,000 KSH/month

Thanks!!

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 8
1. Re: moving to Nairobi

Could you tell us where you will be working and if you will have your own vehicle -- this will help us guide you a bit. Given the traffic in the city, it's best to live as close to work as possible --or at least not on the other side of the city. Nairobi is very expensive and looking for a furnished apartment within that budget will be a bit more time-consuming. Unfortunately, it seems many apartments are geared toward diplomatic budgets which apparently are in the 140-160,000 per month range.

Haas Consult and Villa Care are two companies that may be able to provide you some help. I've had some friends who stayed at the YMCA, but I think that it may be a bit too basic given your available budget.

Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
2. Re: moving to Nairobi

You could get a lovely 1- or 2-bedroom guest cottage in the Karen/Hardy/Langata area for that money, easily. I pay 40,000/- per month for my apartment there and that's including water, leccy, gardener and security. As kenyasafarigirl says, where you're working is going to have some bearing on your living location. More info please! :-)

Pretoria, South...
reviews: 74
3. Re: moving to Nairobi

jambo!

lots of serviced apartments but at twice your budget!there are more reasonable ones but you need to really look...

nevertheless residential areas which have some serviced apartments are as follows:

-- westlands

-- gigiri

-- ngong road

-- karen

-- hurlingham

-- town

if you can pick out your preferences in location (assuming it will be within the proximity of your work place/interest) then i can narrow the search..

you will find the use of estate agents helpful but just ensure you get their terms sorted out prior to engaging their services.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 35
4. Re: moving to Nairobi

Thanks for the help thus far, it is greatly appreciated!!

I'll be working at the Nation Center, which I understand is downtown?

What does "serviced" include?

My budget is flexible if need be...I recently graduated so I don't have the budget to live too extravagantly. I just want a comfortable, safe place... preferably with 2 bedrooms for visitors, but this is not necessary.

Pretoria, South...
reviews: 74
5. Re: moving to Nairobi

jambo

serviced means they will do house-keeping daily and change your sheets/towels usually every 3rd day also includes water and electricity.

however your clothes are excluded and so is telelphone calls (they will usually give a head set and you load credit on it).

all depends which establishment you stay at

youa re in the middle of the city so your best bet would be to look at city (norfolk towers would be handy but rather pricey) hurlingham, kilimani, yaya centre areas...those are on the town route. ngong rouad and westlands also is a slightly further option..

pls note good security is vital but expensive in this city!

Kenya
reviews: 22
6. Re: moving to Nairobi

Hey Stevenbull

Furnished apartments have been going up at such alarming rates in Nairobi...but you can still get what you're looking for,but word of caution...where you choose to live really matters in this part of the World,since security is not always guaranteed!(i dont mean to scare you though:)

Anyway,check out Eldon villas on Ngong road,about 20min to the city centre(where Nation centre is). Their rates arent that bad according to their website(www.eldonvillas.com) they've quoted 75,000Ksh per month but since you'll be taking the apartment for 6 months,maybe they will extend a discount to you...

All the best and Welcome to Kenya!

amsterdam
7. Re: moving to Nairobi

Hello MasaiMiss,

I'm planning to travel to Nairobi with my family(my husband and 4yrs old son) for summer holz.

You've mentioned a lovely 1- or 2-bedroom guest cottage in the Karen/Hardy/Langata area. This is within my budget and would like to know more about the apartment. Kindly let me know the details of eg name and address.

Thanks in advance

kenyangal

You could get a lovely 1- or 2-bedroom guest cottage in the Karen/Hardy/Langata area for that money, easily. I pay 40,000/- per month for my apartment there and that's including water, leccy, gardener and security. As kenyasafarigirl says, where you're working is going to have some bearing on your living location. More info please! :-)

amsterdam
8. Re: moving to Nairobi

Hello MasaiMiss,

I'm planning to travel to Nairobi with my family(my husband and 4yrs old son) for summer holz.

You've mentioned a lovely 1- or 2-bedroom guest cottage in the Karen/Hardy/Langata area. This is within my budget and would like to know more about the apartment. Kindly let me know the details of eg name and address.

Thanks in advance

kenyangal

Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
9. Re: moving to Nairobi

Hi kenyangal,

I wasn't referring to a specific property in my post; just that properties in that price band were available in the area I mentioned. Best to have a look here:

www.langatalink.com/property/index.html

Langata Link usually have a fairly large selection of houses and guest cottages available although, due to the area, demand is high so there may be nothing suitable on their books this week but three or four next week. If you're only here very short-term though (i.e. less than six months) you'll be hard-pressed to find something available in this area for that length of lease. Most properties start at six months or one year. There was a guest cottage available recently on a three-month let but I see that it has been snapped up.

Good luck.

MM

amsterdam
10. Re: moving to Nairobi

Hello MasaiMiss,

Thanks so much for the information. Unfortunately, I'm looking for apart. to rent just for one month. I'll check the link

Kenyangal