We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Electric Adaptor/plug converter

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bay Area, CA
Electric Adaptor/plug converter

Hi! I am moving from U.S. to Kenya and have a couple things I want to take and use abroad.

(1) an old 1950's waffle iron

(2) My 4 in 1 printer/scanner/copier by HP

(3) sewing machine

Need to know what I do for each situation to convert to correct plug type

Iver Heath, United...
reviews: 2
1. Re: Electric Adaptor/plug converter

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294206-i9216-k2…

hope it helps

Sheffield, United...
2. Re: Electric Adaptor/plug converter

Hi, the printer may be dual voltage.

The other items will need a transformer, as the load, especially the waffle iron will be fairly large. The sewing machine may have an electronic speed controller. This requires a "proper" mains supply waveform, this will only be provided by a transformer, an electronic voltage adapter will not work properly, and may damage the machine.

Check the wattage on the detail plate of the waffle iron, this will tell you the min size of transformer you will need. ie. 1500w = 1.5 kwh transformer.

If the plate gives an amperage, multiply the amperage by your supply voltage, this will give the wattage of the iron.

Ivan

Sheffield, United...
3. Re: Electric Adaptor/plug converter

Hi sorry should read 1.5kva transformer

Ivan

Pretoria, South...
reviews: 74
4. Re: Electric Adaptor/plug converter

jambo

suggestions above seem to cover your queries..however worth mentioning that electricity cuts and surges are common in nairobi so i would advise you use in surge guards.

5. Re: Electric Adaptor/plug converter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 19, 2009