We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi City Park/Monkey Park & Nairobi Safari Walk

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey
Nairobi City Park/Monkey Park & Nairobi Safari Walk

We are trying to plan our last two days in Nairobi and would like to visit the City Park and Safari Walk.

Has anyone done this without a guide, if so how safe is it to go alone or would a guide be recommended???

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 8
11. Re: Nairobi City Park/Monkey Park & Nairobi Safari Walk

The Sheldrick elephant orphanage and the animal orphanage are two different things. In my opinion, the elephant orphanage is the only one worth seeing -- it's absolutely captivating (but not part of the park). The viewings are only from 11-12 unless you have fostered your own elephant (I have not been there on a Saturday but imagine they are open), and then you can see it in the evening. If I remember right, it's about $5 and there's no guide necessary. Just make sure your taxi waits.

Carmel, California
reviews: 11
12. Re: Nairobi City Park/Monkey Park & Nairobi Safari Walk

As mentioned the Sheldrick Orphanage and the KWS Orphanage are two different places. The Sheldrick Orphanage is definitely the most worthwhile IMO. I believe they're open daily. I don't know what it costs currently but it shouldn't be that much. If you go between 11:00-noon, you'll see the eles getting their mud bath. If you go in the late afternoon (foster parents only), you'll see them being put to bed so they're totally different experiences and you could do both if you'd like. The late afternoon visit is also much more private.

I'm sure you could spend a couple of hours wandering around the Safari Walk. We went on a very busy public holiday so didn't stay that long.

Basel in Switzerland
13. Re: Nairobi City Park/Monkey Park & Nairobi Safari Walk

Hi Debs!

We went to all those places except the City Park, in my opinion one can't spend hours at the Safari Walk, it's a very nice and interesting walk but it's not so long.

If you stay 2 days in Nairobi, there are so many more things you could do in this great city.

Visit Kitengela Glass Factory where they conjure up beautiful glass designs or Mat Bronze, where they do the same with bronze. Both places are very fascinating to see.

For a shopping trip I would consider Village Market, a great place for spending your last Kenya shillings.;o)

And if you would like to see more animals go to the Langata Giraffe Centre, where you can feed giraffes and learn about their program to release them back into the wild.

Enjoy your stay!

Cheers,

Mswisi

14. Re: Nairobi City Park/Monkey Park & Nairobi Safari Walk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, October 30, 2009