We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi City Park/Monkey Park & Nairobi Safari Walk

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey
Nairobi City Park/Monkey Park & Nairobi Safari Walk

We are trying to plan our last two days in Nairobi and would like to visit the City Park and Safari Walk.

Has anyone done this without a guide, if so how safe is it to go alone or would a guide be recommended???

Carmel, California
reviews: 11
1. Re: Nairobi City Park/Monkey Park & Nairobi Safari Walk

By City Park, do you mean Nairobi National Park?

You don't need a guide for the Safari Walk or Orphanage (and yes it's safe to walk around on your own) but may want one for the national park and in any case, you'd need a vehicle if you're planning to do game drives in the national park.

Pretoria, South...
reviews: 69
2. Re: Nairobi City Park/Monkey Park & Nairobi Safari Walk

jambo debs!

city park as you probably know is more for flora; and you don't need a guide...its just a pleasasnt walk around to see the indeginous forests and possibly monkeys and butterflies...

however my suggestion is not to go in on your own but even if there are 2 of you then its ok, as it is very vast and it is open to the general public so be cautious.

however, the safari walk is very safe; i would suggest you go with a guide (free) as they are so good in pointing out where the animals (which you could spend a lot of time looking for otherwise) and also very knowledgable.

all the best!

sw

dubai
3. Re: Nairobi City Park/Monkey Park & Nairobi Safari Walk

Don't forget to try and visit

http://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/

If you adopt an elephant then you get to put it to bed - it's a fantastic place to visit. Lunchtime feedings & evenings for 'adoptive parents'

Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
4. Re: Nairobi City Park/Monkey Park & Nairobi Safari Walk

One word of warning. If visiting City Park DO NOT take any food with you. The monkeys are vicious little blighters and will relieve you of it before you can blink, even if it's hidden in a bag or pocket. Monkeys bite, and here in Kenya we're not rabies-free.

Other than that, enjoy the park; it's very pretty and the bougainvillea is a sight to behold when it's in full bloom there.

London, United...
reviews: 13
5. Re: Nairobi City Park/Monkey Park & Nairobi Safari Walk

City Park - Minimum of 2 of you and be careful and alert of People & Monkeys but do go it is beautiful

Safari Walk-very safe. You don't need a guide ever so easily. The only exception to that last year was the Topi who then decide to appear pretty much in the best place for a photo opportunity.

After you have done the Safari Walk why not have a quick tour round the Animal Orphanage too and have a close encounter with a Cheetah

north yorkshire
reviews: 18
6. Re: Nairobi City Park/Monkey Park & Nairobi Safari Walk

Not just the primates, the black shouldered kites can take a sandwich out of your hands too! I've seen it happen.

Spent three years walking near City park and never went in, now I'm beginning to wonder if I missed something!

Carmel, California
7. Re: Nairobi City Park/Monkey Park & Nairobi Safari Walk

Oops, I totally misunderstood the first part of your question!

Surrey
8. Re: Nairobi City Park/Monkey Park & Nairobi Safari Walk

Thanks for all your replies.

We are wanting to visit Nairobi City Park on one afternoon, there will be two of us, so just wanting to know how safe it is.

Does anyone know if you have to prebook to visit the elephant sanctuary, we are hoping to visit on a saturday possible morning then onto the Safari Walk, or the other way round,

Also would like to know how much time to allocate for the Safari walk and also do you need to book a guide or just turn up??

Many thanks

Debs

Carmel, California
9. Re: Nairobi City Park/Monkey Park & Nairobi Safari Walk

You don't need to prebook the Sheldrick visit if going during the public hour from 11:00 to noon. If you foster an elephant, you can visit in the late afternoon when the eles return to their stockades. The late afternoon foster parent visit needs to be prearranged by emailing Sheldrick. Those are the only visiting times.

I think we spent about an hour at the Safari Walk. There's also the Orphanage nearby (which is more like a zoo) that you can also visit while you're there (separate admission fees). We didn't hire a guide at either location but I believe they're available, no need to prebook.

Surrey
10. Re: Nairobi City Park/Monkey Park & Nairobi Safari Walk

Thankyou.

Is the elephant sanctuary and Orphanage two different

places? I cannot find opening/visitor's hours anywhere on the internet. Thank you for the information on public hour at the elephant sanctuary, do you know if they are opening on a saturday and what costs to visit them.

Also I was reading up on the Safari Walk (National Park) that you can spend a few hours wandering round.

Just looking at how to best spend our last day and a half in Nairobi before coming home.

Many thanks