We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

luggage limits

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Quincy,IL
luggage limits

I am flyong out of St Louis Mo in May this year and was wondering what the limits are on the luggage. I am disabled and will be taking crutches and will have a hard time handling luggage. I will be gone for over 2 weeks. I see 50 lbs or 70lbs as the limit. Any advise for me.....

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 8
1. Re: luggage limits

The only way we can answer this is if you tell us what airline you are flying and what your flight itinerary is (i.e. if you have stopovers anywhere longer than 24 hours or if you are switching airlines in Kenya and are flying domestic in-country).

Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
2. Re: luggage limits

I would suggest you contact your airline direct, or visit their website. Particularly in respect of your disability; they will need to know so that they can inform airport services to provide you with assistance.

nyc
3. Re: luggage limits

Your airline/s are best to advise you how they can accommodate your crutches and provide wheelchair assistance at airports - getting to/from and between gates - meeting you at Nairobi airport to get thru Immigration/Customs to your meet/greet driver.

For carryon, with personal papers, medicines, camera, etc. airport/wheelchair personnel can handle this for you. And once at your destination, your larger/main bag can be gathered at Baggage Claim and handled accordingly.

As to the luggage, if going on safari, it's best to use a soft-sided duffle-type bag, weighing no more than 33/lbs. These bags get stuffed into the rear of safari vehicle. And, should you be taking small planes during safari, the same weight limits apply.

The 50-70/lbs you see on airline websites are those for the international flight only and these vary depending on air carrier. Once in country, the limits are reduced for the purposes shown above.

If not going on safari, but have business only in Kenya, then you can have higher limits, though usually not needed.... attire in Kenya is rather casual and laundry, if not included, can be done at very reasonable prices. You'd be surprised just how much clothing adds up to 33/lbs.

Quincy,IL
4. Re: luggage limits

Thank you all for your quick response. I am flying American Airlines to -Chicagp then British Airlines to London and on to Nairobi. Reverse it coming home. I am staying in London for 4 days on the return trip. I will not be on any small planes.

I am taking a safari and have a soft side wheeled bag. I am not taking a wheelchair as I can walk. I need the crutches after I get there and then take my leg off. I have a pair that folds and should not be a problem.

I was planning on a back pack to use as my carry on as it is easier for me to handle as I still walk with a cane. I then have a over the small shoulder purse for papers, documents etc. I pack well and will only take what is needed so I should be ok with a 50 lb lomit. I plan to wash things out! :-)

I did look on the AA website but it didn't explain very well....

Any more advice?

PEACE

Lu

Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
5. Re: luggage limits

"I did look on the AA website but it didn't explain very well...."

Ok, but what did the airlines' customer assistance people say when you called them? Surely they were more helpful than the websites were? I don't think you can organise Special Assistance etc via the airlines' websites alone. Far better to speak to an airline representative.

nyc
6. Re: luggage limits

Don't depend on the website.

Speak to an agent and have them mark in your records "need for special assistance and wheelchair." Even with crutches or a cane, it's helpful to have wheelchair, avoiding steps and long distances. They'll also handle your luggage, both carryon and duffle bag. Just have small bills for tips for these helpers.

Also be sure that your ground operator in Kenya - whomever is meeting you at NBO and at the lodges/camps where staying on safari - is advised.

I'm able, but a week before one of my visits, pulled a leg muscle and needed a cane, if only on occasion. It was very nice to have the wheelchair at JFK, AMS, NBO. And, at least I didn't have far to walk once out on safari, between room/tent and dining/public space.

Quincy,IL
7. Re: luggage limits

I will give the airlines a call today then. I do have help when I arrive in Kenya as the travel agent is from a agency that caters to handicap people. They are providing all I need for the trip.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 8
8. Re: luggage limits

As far as simple luggage limits go, you are allowed 2 pieces checked on AA and BA at 23 kgs (50 pounds) each if you are in coach. If it's between 50-70 you will be assessed an overweight bag fee which is usually around 50 USD. Your crutches do not count toward your luggage limits.

Quincy,IL
9. Re: luggage limits

I got ahold of a agent at American and they have me set up with a wheelchair at each stop. They told me I was allowed 2 bags at 50 lbs and one carry on at 40lbs at no charge.

That will be plenty of room for everything. Thanks for all the advice and tips to make thiis trip as simple as possible.......

nyc
10. Re: luggage limits

Glad that you have all arranged.

With the exception of your crutches and other items you need to get about, you can certainly stay within limits for clothing and "stuff" within the 15Kg/33-lbs limit. You'll do just fine.

Do report back on your trip, especially the company that handles visitors with disabilities and the overall experience - vehicle, drives, at lodges/camps, etc.

This should be beneficial to others in similar circumstances who are considering safari, but don't know how to go about it.

Safari njema!