We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sleeping in airports

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sleeping in airports

Has any one stayed in the airport in Nairobi, as I have an overnight late flight in early morning flight out. Thanks

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 15
1. Re: Sleeping in airports

This is an earlier post by Asifiwe.....

After several attempts on reaching the marketing department of Kenya Airports Authorities , I have managed to confirm that there is a sleep and shower facility at JKIA next to Gate 4 internatinal Departures. The Cell no. of the Airport Manager is 0733886025.

Charges:- Single Room 0 to 04hrs USD25.00

4-08Hrs USD40.00

8-24Hrs USD 60.00

Take a look at this website - the budget travellers guide to sleeping in airports - www.sleepinginairports.net/list.asp…

Wuite a few reviews of Nairobi.

2. Re: Sleeping in airports

Thank you so much

Manchester
reviews: 2
3. Re: Sleeping in airports

My international flight from Istanbul arrives at 01:00am and my domestic flight out with air540 is at 06:45am.

The flight times mean a trip into Nairobi would be pointless, and the details on the shower'n'sleep look sketchy at best. I've had a look around at various threads and some Some of the posts have been worrying me as I won't be 'in transit'.

Also does anyone know if a visa office will be open at this time so I can get in the country? (this could waste a couple of hours) and will other cafes etc. be open so worst case scenario would be just filling time wandering around. Would this be safe?

thanks in advance for your advice

Shanzu, Kenya
4. Re: Sleeping in airports

well the visa counter is open of course but nothing else,just wander over to the domestic terminak grab one of the few orange seats and hope that a few others will entertain you or if you prefer leave you alone.I'm afraid but that's it!Done it several times so far.Good luck

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
5. Re: Sleeping in airports

I had a look at Sleep n Shower and it would fit your need. There is a post from someone who has used it and explained what he did about luggage.

I have posted some information about what I saw when I went there.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
6. Re: Sleeping in airports

A bit more info - I have also come in at about 1 am many times and needed to cross to Domestic for an early flight. This is what I now do...

Go through Passport control - certainly the Visa counter must be open when a plane arrives! Then down to the Baggage Hall and collect my baggage. I then talk nicely to a Customs officer and explain that I want to wait in the Baggage Hall until it is time to cross over to Domestic. I have never been refused!!

I find a chair near to the wall, put my feet on my trolley and doze. Maybe I shall chat to the cleaners and eat some "breakfast" I kept from the plane. Nobody pesters you there (except possibly a few mozzies - but you'll be well covered up from the travelling!) When I hear the early arrivals from Europe being announced, I go through before the crowd and cross over to Domestic - just over the road - and check in for my Domestic flight.

Lots of posts on how to cross the road! (5 mins)

I hope this helps.

Ann (also Mancunian!)

Rwanda
7. Re: Sleeping in airports

The sleeper rooms in Nairobi do sometimes get used by people wanting to have a crafty smoke so can be a bit 'stale'. When my husband used one he was badly bitten by bed bugs.

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
reviews: 12
8. Re: Sleeping in airports

Because of the so early arrival time we changed our flight from Istanbul to the Air Egypt flight to Cairo and then to Nairobi arriving 3:45am. After Visa purchase and cash withdrawal from Barclays ATM, the Karibu cafe outside of the Customs and by the taxi stand just opened so we were able to sip coffee and others took a nap. We left 6am to go to the domestic Wilson AP. It was ok w/o any safety issues. The added benefit in this route is because of the long layover in Cairo, they arranged (instead of putting us up in a hotel by law so I heard) a mini bus ride around the old and new towns and fed us at a decent restaurant an adequate set menu.

9. Re: Sleeping in airports

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 25, 2009