We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using Swahili

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canton, Ohio
reviews: 20
Using Swahili

We will be in Nairobi for about a month in June, mostly doing service work, including in the Kibera slum.

My question is - how important is it for us to pick up Swahili before our trip? We'll be working w/locals A LOT, so I'm wondering if we really need to have a (at least) a basic working vocabulary.

Your thoughts?

Asante sana.

Fallen on Hard Times
reviews: 2
11. Re: Using Swahili

www.fsi-language-courses.com/Swahili.aspx

The (American) Foreign Service Institute has a free download site (see link above). You can download the Student Text, although PDF, it’s quite old having been typed-up on an old typewriter. You can print off lessons as you go along, ie, a few lessons at a time. It’s far more intensive than Pimsleur, which if I’m not mistaken only deals with the lst and 2nd Person singular?

The units shown state “tape” but in fact are MP3 files which can be downloaded and installed on computers and MP3 players.

Good Luck

Pretoria, South...
reviews: 65
12. Re: Using Swahili

jambo!

ask the people you will be working with to help teach you...

in nbi you really need very little swahili to get you by - infact you will be impressed at the command of english across all social-classes here! its amazing!

13. Re: Using Swahili

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, October 23, 2009