We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging in Nairobi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canton, Ohio
reviews: 20
Lodging in Nairobi

We are going to be in Nairobi for four weeks in June and are currently planning on staying at the Gracia Guesthouse by Yaya Center. The price runs just shy of $100 for four people.

Two questions:

1. Is this a good place to stay? Can anyone give me any idea on what to expect?

2. Any other alternatives in that general area for the same price or lower (definitely not higher!) that are safe, especially since we'll have two kids (8/10) with us?

We'll be doing service work in the area near that hotel, as well as the Kibera slum, so the location was pretty good, but we are open to other places in the same general area. Definitely nothing downtown or on another end of town (e.g. int'l airport area).

Thanks in advance!!!!

Winchester, United...
reviews: 29
1. Re: Lodging in Nairobi

How about a family room at the Country Lodge hotel I think its around $100 night.its new and very clean there are reviews here on trip advisor

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 8
2. Re: Lodging in Nairobi

The fairview would be ideal -- they have apartments-- but I do not think they allow children. You could email them and ask the ages that they allow. It's not as close to Kibera but it's much more affordable than $3000 a month (I think).

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 15
3. Re: Lodging in Nairobi

Rather than spend your time in a guest house, why not rent a house? This website will give you a taste of properties available....

http://www.hassconsult.co.ke/restolet.html

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 8
4. Re: Lodging in Nairobi

I'm not sure anyone would let a house for a month. I have always signed 6 -12 month commitments.

London, United...
reviews: 13
5. Re: Lodging in Nairobi

you could also try Woodmere Apartments near the Yaya www.woodmerenairobi.com

Winchester, United...
reviews: 29
6. Re: Lodging in Nairobi

Just remembered that theres a place called Indaba in Nairobi its a house run by a lovely couple, they have a campsite but also rooms and not expensive, theres a room with sofas, tv and a pool table and large gardens.It's like being at home, they do a cooked meal in the evening were everyone sits together and eats.

They have a mini van and can take you to see the elephants at the orphanage and the giraffe centre.

they have a website think its indaba explorations and you click on "campsite" and it tells you about their rooms. We loved staying there and ended up staying for 1 week more than planned.

Pretoria, South...
reviews: 74
7. Re: Lodging in Nairobi

jambo!

the deal at gracia is very good for 4 people; its average, clean, good food and well maintained.

pls note serviced apartments are very expensive in nairobi...

besides gracia is so well located - a good area dn safe.. - you are next door to yay shopping mall (bank, taxi's, markets days etc), a short walk to ngong road you get to prestige plaza which houses nakumatt (local chain store) and then uchumi further down(another local chain store) and its parallel to kibera.

St. Louis, Missouri
reviews: 46
8. Re: Lodging in Nairobi

We have stayed at Gracia in the past. It is very nice, but the last time there a bar had opened near it and played live loud music until late in the night. I'd recommend it's sister guesthouse, where we ended up moving to, called Gracia Gardens. Not as conveniently located (not next to Yaya Center), but lovely grounds and adequate rooms, a pool, and lovely staff with great food.

Newcastle upon...
reviews: 34
9. Re: Lodging in Nairobi

Hi

I always use Gracia when in Nairobi. The rooms are quite basic but the food is good and the location excellent next door to shopping centre and a short walk along to nakumatt supermarket. Very safe and secure too place it is too.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 15
10. Re: Lodging in Nairobi

4 weeks in a basic room with loud live music with children - no thanks!