We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11 Days in Nairobi - what should I do?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham, UK
reviews: 3
11 Days in Nairobi - what should I do?

Hey Guys,

I will be arriving in Nairobi at the end of an overland tour from Cape Town - and have 11 days to fill before leaving for Uganda on a Gorilla trek. I will be on my own (young male backpacker) and am not sure how to fill my time.

What should I do? and where should I stay (ideally with a backpacker scene so I can meet people)?

I was thinking I may get the train down to Mombassa for a few days - are these easy to get?

Thanks alot for your time. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Nottingham, UK
1. Re: 11 Days in Nairobi - what should I do?

Apologies - have just seen a whole thread re- trains to Mombassa.

Dublin
2. Re: 11 Days in Nairobi - what should I do?

Hi there

im gonna be in nairobi for about 7 days, 3/4 days of which i will be on safari. I dont know what i will do for the remaining 3 days. I will go to the snake zoo anyways.. Anyone else got any suggestions?

Nairobi, Kenya
3. Re: 11 Days in Nairobi - what should I do?

The Snake Park in Nairobi is currently closed for refurbishment. It was supposed to be open at the beginning of the year but... TIA. There are plenty of threads on things to do in Nairobi - just hit the "search" function.

MM

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 10
4. Re: 11 Days in Nairobi - what should I do?

Here's a website that has some ideas.

www.nairobi.com/s/nairobicity/index5.html

In addition, another attraction is the Sheldrick Orphanage for Elephants. This place is magical and you may have a personal/physical contact with an elephant youngster. Last July I was there, there were a few youngsters that came under the cable separating us and them and rubbed up against us, smelled us.....was quite something.

Haven't stayed at any of the hostels in Nairobi, but here's a site that will give you some ideas.

http://www.hostelz.com/hostels/Kenya/Nairobi

cheers!

London, United...
reviews: 13
5. Re: 11 Days in Nairobi - what should I do?

If it's open try The National Museum which is near the Snake Museum, You could alsop go on A safari in the Nairobi National Park, here is of course the Giraffe Centre and the Animal Orphanage, The Nairobi Safari Walk both of which are in the same area as the national Park If you like the feathered variety of birds there is also the Bird Watchers Walk on a Wednesday (early am 7.45 or 8,45 I think)with a special once a month. There's also the Train Museum and of course the national Archives & this is all before looking up the details of things like the Bomas Hope that gives you plenty of things to do in Nairobi

oxford
reviews: 29
6. Re: 11 Days in Nairobi - what should I do?

join a Gametrackers safari- ideally to Lake Turkhana as it will be an amazing (and relatively cheap) experience and you will meet a whole crowd of interesting people and see some of the most amazing country. It used to leave on Fridays and takes 7 days (including 2 nights in Samburu- one of the most beautiful and tourist free parks.

In Nairobi definitely go to the elephant orphanage and the giraffe sanctuary- both really interesting.

You could go to Naivasha and stay in a banda by the lake- think it is still run by Carnellys, or go to Mount Kenya and spend a few days fishing- can stay in one of the huts at Naro Moru.

Yorkshire
reviews: 6
7. Re: 11 Days in Nairobi - what should I do?

Hi,

One of my favourite places was the Giraffe Sanctuary in Langata. It has a lovely nature trail as well.

Pretoria, South...
reviews: 65
8. Re: 11 Days in Nairobi - what should I do?

jambo ag

lots of good sugestions here but as you might gather 11 days is a long time to be in nbi so a few days at the coast will probably be a good idea...

enjoy your safari!

9. Re: 11 Days in Nairobi - what should I do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, October 22, 2009