We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

multi entry visa

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
chicago
3 posts
multi entry visa

1) if i travel to Nairobi then to Cairo, then back to Nairobi do i need a multi entry visa??

2) reading many different safari trip forums i continuely see comments from people who pre booked thru large, expensive, big names companies, and that you can book locally with huge savings.?? if anyone has huge savings tips and/or local safari info, please share in detail. :)

thank you, michele

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: multi entry visa

Hi,

entering Kenya and need a visa as you know. Once you leave to re-enter again you will need a valid visa. Like you mention a multi visa will allow you to leave and re-enter from that as many times as you like. If your only going to enter Kenya twice in a year then get a single upon each entry it will be cheaper. A multi entry visa cost the same as 3 single entires.

Yes you can save money booking safaris locally.

Nairobi
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
2. Re: multi entry visa

Hi Michelle,

1. You have two choices, depending on how many times you want to "reenter" Nairobi - you can obtain a multi entry visa from the Kenyan embassy in your country - this costs US$ 110, but these visas can not be obtained upon arrival at the Nairobi airport. The other alternative is to obtain a single entry visa @ US$ 50 - these can be issued at the Nairobi airport (depending on your country of origin)OR at the Kenyan embassy in your country.So if you only plan to reenter Nairobi once, the second alternative works out cheaper and convenient if you have the visas issued at the airport. The other type of visa available is the transit visa @ US$ 20, but subject to proof that you are on transit - now visitors to Cairo are not often on transit in Nairobi so this may not be a viable option for you.

2. Yes,one can book with a local tour company and save a bundle - if you are willing to do the work - is this for Egypt or Kenya? I suggest that you search for a local tour company online - go to the contact page to make sure that theirs is a local address - most will be Nairobi based in the case of Kenya. Send emails to several of these and you should be able to tell a good and solid tour company depending on their speed in responding to your email, the quality of information provided and so on.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
3. Re: multi entry visa

Hi, note that you will need a YF cert to enter Egypt after visiting Kenya unless you have been out of Kenya for at least 6 days. As you need a YF cert in any African country after Kenya you have no option but to get the jab unless going to Europe for the 6 days.

Ivan

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
4. Re: multi entry visa

Hi, sorry correction to my last post, the 6 day rule does not apply to Kenya, but you WILL need a YF cert to enter Egypt if arriving direct from Kenya.

Ivan

chicago
3 posts
5. Re: multi entry visa

hi and thank you for your response. may i ask what is this "YF" you speak of for Egypt?? it is my intention to arrive Nairobi, collect my daughter, spend a day or two in Nairobi and then travel to Cairo, then back to Nairobi for a week before returning to the states. please advise more details regarding your reply.

thanks, michele

chicago
3 posts
6. Re: multi entry visa

thank you. your reply most detailed and helpful!

one question...someone replied and said i would need a "YF" to enter Egypt?? do you know what this is??

regards, michele

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
278 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: multi entry visa

YF = Yellow Fever

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
8. Re: multi entry visa

Hi, sorry about confusion, wasnt being clear. An international Yellow Fever Certificate will be required to enter Egypt if arriving from a YF listed (by the world health organisation) country. The jab is pretty well 100% effective, and lasts for min. 10 years, the disease is transmitted by a mosquito, and although most people have only mild flu like symptoms, in some cases it can be fatal, there is no cure. There is no mandatory requirment to have the jab to enter Kenya, but it is strongly advised by all health authorities. Your daughter will also need the cert. if travelling with you to Egypt.

Ivan

nyc
Level Contributor
14,023 posts
9. Re: multi entry visa

See this link re meds/inocs and other health info:

touregypt.net/magazine/mag11012000/mag13.htm

10. Re: multi entry visa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, October 18, 2009