We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from nairobi to mombasa

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Burnaby, BC
reviews: 1
train from nairobi to mombasa

Anyone used the train to get from Nairobi to Mombasa??

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 18
1. Re: train from nairobi to mombasa

Its a good idea not to bank on the train getting in on time, its a rare occurence! Do take a few supplies with you just in case there's a long delay somewhere enroute.

First class is for 2 people with 2 bunks and wash basin. Second class is for 4 people either family or same, male or females. sharing with bunks and wash basin. 3rd class is wherever you can find a space on a seat or floor. Food is exactly the same in the dining car for 1st and 2nd. Its an experience.

http://www.seat61.com/Kenya.htm

uk
reviews: 5
2. Re: train from nairobi to mombasa

is this company reputable,is it advisable to pay for this train journey with a credit card.

amsterdam
reviews: 3
3. Re: train from nairobi to mombasa

I took the train from Msa to Nairobi. Its a real adventure!

I think you have to take first class. We travelled first class but there were 4 people in one cabin!

One advice: If you go for diner take care and let some one stay in the cabin to watch the luggage.

Enjoy

Mara

Pretoria, South...
reviews: 74
4. Re: train from nairobi to mombasa

jambo!

keep in mind the following:

-- you can't pay by credit card direct to the train station but you can via your travel agent

-- they don't always keep time

-- mosquitoes all over

-- cockroaches too so carry a tin of insecticide

-- toilets are not hygienic (carry your tissue paper)

-- food is very average (they dont cater for vegetarian)

-- its not value for money when you consider the time you spend

but as the above travellers have said - this is africa and adventurous!

London, United...
reviews: 13
5. Re: train from nairobi to mombasa

Agree loads of mosquitoes and don't provide a net for you so take your own, the food is a little above average but not 1st class standard. Saw no Cockroaches in November and the train was late however we did get to see an awful lot of animals in Nairobi national park - overal yes do it opnce it is an experience you should do

Dublin
6. Re: train from nairobi to mombasa

I was thinking of travelling to Mombasa from Nairobi with my 2 mates on the train.. Not so sure now after hearing the word 'cockroaches'. Is there alot of them on the train?

Also

I see that the first class ticket includes dinner .. But there are 3 of us and i see the first class cabins only hold 2 people.

So what class should we be looking for?

We would like to have dinner on the train too..

London, United...
7. Re: train from nairobi to mombasa

Never used the train but 2 weeks ago used the coach to travel from Mombasa to Nairobi (and back again).

Cost only 1600Ksh each way (3200 return) and the quality of the coach was very good, which shocked me!

Full working air conditioning very comfortable, TV screens, bottled water and biscuits given out and a 20 minute break halfway were you are let out at a row of shops/restaurants.

Scenery is magnificent, zebras grazing by the side of the road, huge hills, mountains etc.

Coach leaves at 09:30 and reaches destination at about 18:00 in the evening.

The road isn't as bad as I expected however the 8 miles or so going into Nairobi is incomplete, they were still laying the tarmac when I travelled.

The road runs next to the railway for much of the route, from what I could see of the actual railway line it's narrow gauge and apparently travelling by coach is quicker!

At 1600Ksh (£14) it's a bargain considering it's about 300 miles!

img.villagephotos.com/imageview.aspx…

Nairobi
8. Re: train from nairobi to mombasa

You could book a second class cabin and pay for all four persons - that way you will have exclusive use of the cabin @ roughly Kshs 2,300 per adult - probably more if you are booking through your agent as they will add their booking fee and if you pay by credit card, there will be a surcharge (usually 3% on the total amount)

Dublin
9. Re: train from nairobi to mombasa

yeah thats sounds like a good idea.

thanks

Birmingham, United...
10. Re: train from nairobi to mombasa

ok so if i go from mombassa by bus then return on the train (or other way)i'll have another adventure\experiance to add to my trip to kenya yes ????

i'm tevelling alone what do you recone will i be safe