We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel, Dinner, and tour recommendations

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Waterloo, Canada
reviews: 3
Hotel, Dinner, and tour recommendations

We will be in Nairobi for an afternoon and overnight in mid July. Any suggestions for a decent hotel and restaurant? We will have 2 adults and 2 kids (boys 10 and 15). We will be headed to Masai Mara the next morning. We had been told to eat at the Carnivore but I see reviews that indicate it is not as exotic as it used to be and is also overpriced.

Aside from that, what tours or sights to see might you recommend for the afternoon? It had been suggested we see the slum (sorry, forget the name) that is one of the largest in Africa. Not that we want to be tourists here but we will be on our way home from Uganda from humanitarian work and might find this educational.

Thoughts?

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 160
1. Re: Hotel, Dinner, and tour recommendations

For hotels, you could try Fairview, Holiday Inn or Serena.

For restaurants, it all depends on what you would like to eat. A great Italian one is Mediterraneo, which has two locations - The Junction Shopping Mall, or in Westlands. For Indian, try Haandi or Open House both in Westlands. Japanesse - Tokyo in Westlands.

I had dinner at Carnivore on Tuesday, and it was not bad. The experience is still great, and the meat is good (tho no exotic meats).

Remember that traffic can be heavy in nairobi, so if you arrive in the aftrenoon, the drive from the airport to the hotel could take up to 2 hours. It would not leave too much time for sight seeing. You could go to Karen and see the Giraffe Centre, Karen Blixen's House, and do a spot of shopping.

London, United...
reviews: 13
2. Re: Hotel, Dinner, and tour recommendations

As you say you don't want to be complete tourists I would suggest the Kenya Comfort or perhaps even the Redcourt. The Serena is extremely expensive. For dinner as Road warrior said depends on what you like -give us a clue and then we can direct you.

The National Museun is a good place to visit as are the National Archives and the Train Museum

Waterloo, Canada
3. Re: Hotel, Dinner, and tour recommendations

Thanks all. I will take a look at the hotel options.

For food, we are pretty open to something different. I'm not really interested in somethin italian, american, or whatever we can get back home in Canada. We were hoping for something unique to this part of the world.

We are thinking about the Giraffe Centre for sure...we had thought about staying at Giraffe Manor until I saw the prices....$1000 for one night for a family of 4 it looks like!!! We may also take in the museum.

Are there any good crafts markets? We have an african themed room in our home and would love to find some handmade crafts at a good price. Any suggestions for this?

London
4. Re: Hotel, Dinner, and tour recommendations

I have just seen your thread and I hope its not too late to answer your several questions..Girafe manor is a bit overly rated and don't think its worth it...Would advice you try a simple but good hotel like Red Court Htl or Panari Htl/Fairview htl.just google them....they are located closer to the airport especially the first 2..

For excursions,would advice you do the Giraffe Centre/Karen Blixen and maybe Bomas of Kenya...if you are free in the morning you can also do the Daphne sheldrick elephant but dont know if they open in the afternoon.....with a stop at a curio shop..I think they are two curio shops around Karen area.......all the above are found at an estaste called Karen...I also heard they have created a short cut to access the area thus avoiding the high traffic on the highway from the airport.

You can then drive to the Carnivore later to have lunch or dinner.....Would recommend you contact a local tour company in advance and book for the excursions and htl booking..if need be contact..www.diwakasafaris.com or joseph@diwakasafaris.com..have always recommended them cos of the extra guide offered apart from the normal tour driver which makes up 2 guides at no extra cost.

London
5. Re: Hotel, Dinner, and tour recommendations

Anglo:..Has the musuem been opened???...would you recommend the place??...How Much does it cost??

Waterloo, Canada
6. Re: Hotel, Dinner, and tour recommendations

Thanks!

We have booked our room at Kivi Milimani as it was recommended by a friend of ours. I think we are going to tour the Giraffe Center and then take a drive through Kibera as we are hoping to bring awareness to a number of Africa's issues to people back home in Canada. We are spending time in Uganda as well.

Thanks for your advice!

Mike

Adelaide
reviews: 63
7. Re: Hotel, Dinner, and tour recommendations

Hi Mike,

I have just returning from Kenya on a volunteer program based in Kibera. Yes i would recommend a trip through Kibera. The only reason i suggest this is because you mentioned your work in Uganda. Kibera is not for the average 'tourist'.

Things are quite bad there and the mere size of the place is unbelievable. 1.5 million people living in a 'real' slum. It is the largest in all of africa. There is a spot at a school called 'olympic' where you can get a great view of Kibera.

Despite the conditions the people, especially the kids, are great.If you can find someone a local that is trustworthy get them to take you through. If you can get them to drive you to an area Jamhuri and then it is a 10min walk to Kibera. If you stay on the outer rim and don't take valuable you will get a better feel than a drive through. Just don't go at night. During the day you shouldn't have any probelms as long as you use common sense. I used to walk to the orphange by myself.

Gypsygirl8

dubai
reviews: 11
8. Re: Hotel, Dinner, and tour recommendations

Carnivore is still well worth a trip, it is possibly not quite as good as a few years ago, but it is still very very good.

Tamarind is fantastic for seafood, it's quite 'posh' though so the children may not enjoy is as much.

There are several other very good restaurants in Karen.

As for things to do in Nairobi, www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/index.asp Is fantastic, if you adopt an elephant orphan then you can get to put it to bed in the evening & help feed it. Or you can go around lunch time and watch them being fed, bathed.

The giraffe centre ( tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g294207-d4… ) is also very good

nyc
9. Re: Hotel, Dinner, and tour recommendations

Depends how much time you have in the afternoon for sightseeing. Kibera might take up more time than you have before heading to dinner.

But, you can visit Giraffe Center (feed the tall blonds). However, Sheldrick only shows the baby ellees between 11am-12N.. If you adopt an ellee, you can make appointment to visit yours at 5pm to meet the handler and put your little one to bed. The kids will love this. Fee is $50 to adopt an ellee.

Then head to dinner. Carnivore is fun. Tamarind, a bit fancier, but food is excellent. Mediterraneo (Italian) is excellent... there are a few of these around NBO. Nairobi has become a "foodie" city, so there are many cuisines you might find of interest. Your hotel will certainly have a list.

10. Re: Hotel, Dinner, and tour recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, October 20, 2009