We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My recent stay in the Nairobi airport

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
1 post
My recent stay in the Nairobi airport

I just returned from climbing Kili and transferred through Nairobi airport. Since there is conflicting advice about the Nairobi airport, I want to provide a real-time update.

First, getting my bags. Since I flew in on an evening flight and was flying out in the morning to TZ, I wanted to get my bag and stay in the "Sleep-n-shower" in the airport. Contrary to advice given at the airport, there are at least 2 methods to get your bag - 1) pay a "porter" that is standing by the passport control to get your bag or 2) give your passport to one of the "official" looking gentlemen standing by passport control and retrieve your own bag and walk back to passport control and retrieve your passport. Neither method comes with a great sense of comfort, but I chose the former.

I paid a porter a couple of USD's, gave him my claim ticket, and said there would be more USD's when he returned. After 15 minutes, here he comes walking through passport control with my bag. USD's well spent in my book. As I was waiting for my bag, I saw a guy deploy technique #2 - gave his passport to one of the better dressed "officials," he walked down to baggage claim, and about the same time as my chap returned he walked back to passport control and after a brief discussion, retrieved his passport.

Why did I choose #1? I NEVER surrender my passport without a really good reason. But that's me. Choose for yourself.

Second, staying at the "Sleep-n-shower." Nairobi airport has a 14 room sleeping room place down by Gate 3 in the international terminal. After I retrieved my bags, I walked down the hall, down the stairs, and to the double doors signed "sleep-n-shower." You can't miss it. It was very basic, the prices are as previously posted on the forum, and a bed. It was hot and humid, but at least a bed and toilet. The showers are interesting, and make sure you ask for towel, flip flops, and how to turn on the hot water.

Third, nobody at the airport really knows what is going on. You will hear conflicting answers from anyone you talk to. Where do I check in? How do I check my bag? Where is such-n-such? I heard different gate assignments over the PA for my flight over the course of an hour. Folks told me flat out wrong answers to my questions, and fortunately, I didn't believe them. Get there early, get in line early, and be observant.

Interesting place.

Level Contributor
191 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: My recent stay in the Nairobi airport

You update is an interesting read. I live in Nairobi and i dont mind hearing such feedback from guyz coz this is the only way we can improve!

Anyway,dont worry..they say..'this is Kenya' ways of doing things are pretty different,but am glad you took it lightly

Welcome again..hopefully we'll have improved:-)

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,604 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: My recent stay in the Nairobi airport

Thank you so very much!! I have been to look at "Sleep-n-shower" on behalf of Forum posters, but have never had a friend willing to try it out! Mostly we are interested for people who are transferring to Domestic and have a long wait after an overnight flight.

When I looked, there was small kitchen with a kettle, microwave and assortment of drinks - coffee, tea, chocolate and I think some milk.

I looked when I was on my way out and didn't need to use it.

Your report is a big help!

3. Re: My recent stay in the Nairobi airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 pm, October 18, 2009