We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vaccines

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Burnaby, BC
reviews: 1
vaccines

I am wondering what vaccines I should be getting before I go to Nairobi?

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 11
1. Re: vaccines

you should discuss this with your GP but these are the usual vaccines

Hepatitis A - Typhoid - Polio [ normaly this has been completed in childhood.] - Hepatitis B & Tetanus

Yellow fever ..which is reccomended but NOT compulsory for kenya ...

nyc
2. Re: vaccines

Do a search on this board for "inoculations" or "vaccines" - lots of threads.

Still, best to check www.cdc.gov/travel (select Kenya) for details of recommended inocs* and malaria meds.

I'mm sure the Canadian govt has a similar site with useful information.

* even if not traveling adults should be current on inocs they may have last had as children, or young adults; many diseases are just as easily contracted at home.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
reviews: 2
3. Re: vaccines

It's been interesting learning about the differences of what vaccines are necessary -- depending on where you're from.

We are Americans living in Japan. My daughter goes to college in L.A. and "got the works" from the university health center, plus a long document that went into detail about the innoculations, what to be careful about, etc.

In Japan, the doctor (who specializes in international immunizations) asked us where we were going (safari, no beach), for how long (14 days), and if we "planned on eating outside the hotel, ie a local food stall" (no). We were given two shots -- tetanus and Hep A.

As for malaria tablets, my daughter got the type that you take every day; my husband got once-a-week type. But in December-January, there were so few mosquitoes and the pills made us "not well," that we stopped taking them.

If you're going to live/work in Kenya for more than 3 months, we were told that it's a different story.

Long Islander
reviews: 15
4. Re: vaccines

As usual, Drakesdrum and 4Sandi are right on. I would add that the polio vaccine is most probably just the booster. Check with your physician to see if any or all ate available at low/no cost on the Canadian medical system. In the US, it is a mixed cost bag, depending on the insurance plan.

arizona
reviews: 1
5. Re: vaccines

Jambo Mickey D. Keep in mind the Hep A and B series takes about 6 months to complete. Start now!! The polio is usually a booster unless you have never had the inoc. Our ins. wouldn't pay for any of it. Voluntary they said! Ugh $$$$$$$$$$$$. Do as 4Sandi says and check with your government website.

nyc
6. Re: vaccines

Polio is a booster if you had as a youngster. As a "booster" should last the rest of your life.

HepA (sometimes the combo A/B, believe called Twinex) is two shots*, the 2nd to be taken 6/mo - 1/yr after the first; should be good for 10/yrs. But understand, the new version of these "might" last for a lifetime. So ask.

*the first jab should cover you for immediate travel.

All inocs, should be given at minimum 10/days prior travel. Again, verify. So don't leave for last minute.

7. Re: vaccines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 am, August 11, 2009